Fly Tying
Hatchet Jack

Any float-tubers out there?

Got this one from Academy sports $200 it's got "planks" In the bottom. The seats are pillows/ joke we sat on coolers. Got it to float down moderate streams. Kinda harry when throw out mushroom anchor in heavy water. It has 4 air chambers. Not great for oaring around a lot in calm water but great to float in and packable.

IMG_1114.png

I weigh 280

IMG_1119.png

IMG_1115.png

IMG_1116.png

They make a one man with a half bottom for standing. Unless you puncture an air chamber a hole in bottom just lets in buncha water....

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_1120.png

IMG_1122.png

I like that one man model, denduke. Up until the last year I was fishing out of an inflatable kayak. It did the job but, man, it's a pain in the rear. I have a hard shell sit on top now. This thread is making me consider a tube but that little raft is nice.

Yah, that one man raft is a water master Kodiak, and you're taking almost 2 grand, not $200. Nice boat, a friend has one and it's great for packing gear and in rapids but slow as molasses. For stillwater I'd take a float tube or pontoon any day.

Does anyone have exprience with the outcast trinity.

The Trinity is a good tube like everything Outcast makes, but you have to keep in mind that it was built as light as possible for those backpacking long distances. Therefore it is not as luxurious nor robust as the Fat Cat, but if it does fold up into a small pack and is just the ticket for a high mountain trip...just not something I'd recommend for an everyday tubing experience.

For stillwaters I can drive to I use this 8' homemade aluminum punt. Built it 50 years ago with my dad. Comes with 2 anchors, portable fish finder, electric or 2 HP Honda outboard, and rod holder. I usually row though. If hiking into a lake I use an osprey float tube.

post-54459-0-76006800-1502314302_thumb.jpg

I'd recommend you move up to a pontoon. North Fork's frameless pontoons work great, and take up little storage space (a bit pricy, though.) On a pontoon, you sit up off the water, and there's no problem casting, unless you keep dropping your backcast.... Another advantage of a pontoon is that you have oars, and can row through flat water, but you can still use fins to control the craft while you are fishing. The best of both worlds.

I think it depends on where he fishes though. The tail-water I fish (Cumberland River) would move a pontoon too fast to fish right. A tube will let you slow down and really work spaces over. On a pond or lake though, I'd agree that a pontoon is better.

I'd recommend you move up to a pontoon. North Fork's frameless pontoons work great, and take up little storage space (a bit pricy, though.) On a pontoon, you sit up off the water, and there's no problem casting, unless you keep dropping your backcast.... Another advantage of a pontoon is that you have oars, and can row through flat water, but you can still use fins to control the craft while you are fishing. The best of both worlds.

I think it depends on where he fishes though. The tail-water I fish (Cumberland River) would move a pontoon too fast to fish right. A tube will let you slow down and really work spaces over. On a pond or lake though, I'd agree that a pontoon is better.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I was advised for safety reasons do not use float tubes or dangle your feet in moving water. I have modified my pontoon so my feet can't slip off the pegs, and can comfortably navigate thru class 1 and 2 rapids.