Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

OT Eclipse viewing

put the camera in the car and stepped out for a late lunch.

had a cricket chirping by me also.

I did notice the wind slowed down some.

post-61737-0-67145200-1503353839_thumb.jpg

Well i (and my brother) drove about 350 miles North to Glendo WY Sunday night. Left about 11pm And got there about 3:30AM. Seeing shadows of leaves on the side walk looking like about 30-40 little partial eclipses shimmering. I will work on Ted to get some video of that. The weird thing was a young buck deer crashing into the field we were setting things up at. Several moved because of it. That was about 60% at the time.

Seeing the last little part of the sun dissapear meant you had to take the glasses off (or arc welding helmet like me). It was WEIRD to the Nth. We were sitting in twilight at 11:40 AM. You could look right at the sun (no lenses) with NO problem for about 2 minutes. The Coronal Mass ejections at the time gave 3 very distinct emissions.

This was my first (and probably only) complete eclipse. It is weird hearing 15-20K people honking their horns and cheering (in town pop. 180ish)...It was something very different to experience...I am just glad the Dark Side of The Moon tour T-shirt was met with a couple of hundred people telling me that was best shirt for the day...i even met the Governor of WY there...it was almost surrealist. I just wish i had taken George...A Madagascar ground boa is almost as rare as an eclipse.

The trip home blew chunks...Almost 200 miles of mostly stopped interstate traffic. I have never even thought that could get that bad...Almost 13hours to get home...It was CRAZY but cool. I just wish i could have spent the morning fishing...But then i would have missed a lot of cool things. You have to try this once in your life...There are some astrophysics that still cant say they have seen totality.

We got rained out. Got a couple glimpses of the beginning of the partial phase. Really disappointed but we're not too far away from the path of the next one in 2024.

Im not totally sure how they come up with #14 darkness...#10 weld lens is blocking some serious flash up close than looking straight into the sun zillion miles away thru our atmosphere. Tv station said it could damage a cell phone. Maybe looking thru one or at the sun tying to aim one wouldn't be safe but the image ain't that big. I've shot welders at work ain't ruint mine yet....

Yeah, My helmet is auto flip from 12 to 14 (arc VS mig). But honestly i had the glasses also but the helmet was a weird green that wasn't clear enough (i have glaucoma and bad eyes) but the glasses we picked were more red and yellow giving a better view. But at the last second when the zenith reached totality you couldn't see anything through either set. I took off my glasses and realized it was dark out again like very early sunrise. But when you looked at the sun directly (no lenses) It was comfortable and easy. The moon was deflecting all of the harmful light and leaves a very cool view you can watch safely with straight eyes...Just remember that protection only lasts untill the sun pops again then you MUST have safe lenses again.

We got rained out. Got a couple glimpses of the beginning of the partial phase. Really disappointed but we're not too far away from the path of the next one in 2024.

Sorry to hear about the rain...We were scared because of all the weird storms we have had this summer. But we got lucky and i got to see it.

I have been fighting 3 types of cancer since 2011...They said i had less than a 20% chance of living 2 years. Now they want to know more about the extract i make from my greenhouse. They say the OH in it may be hurting my liver...Like they ever cared about that while filling me with steroids and chemo...Then they introduce more steroids while explaining that i have to sit under a radioactive source that will fry things in my chest. They never tell you about the burned esophagus, tertiary arteriole scarring, nor the burned diaphragm that burns worst than meanest heartburn you could experience.

Now they wonder why my potassium levels can drop to 1.5 and i am still walking and talking. You are supposed to die around 2.5 So i can't count on a future date...The last 3 times i was in the hospital they were fighting me tooth and nail...It had to do with being declared a falling hazard. That made me so mad i got out of that bed and went looking for the charge nurse. I wanted to kill her and they couldn't force me back in that bed till i won. She caved...But i doubt i could have done anything worse that kick her in the shin...And even that would have been laughable. I am a small shell of who i used to be.

it was a non event here in connecticut. it gets darker when a rain cloud goes by. "total" bust

maybe the one in 2079 will be better

Getting the kids' interest...BEYOND cool. Keep them dreaming till they find their star...Ya never know, it could happen in a few decades that they go there.

Through a strainer! Also watched it through an eye piece from a telescope. Took a picture holding piece over camera eye...

post-52832-0-83561700-1503586018_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-98428800-1503585976_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-72737000-1503585963_thumb.jpg

Islander, I also love that.

We found a shadow from a tree that would glimmer the crescents. I thought my brother video taped it but it looks like he just took a few stills to save his memory space. They do not show anywhere near as well as your demo did.

If i PM you my email would you consider letting me post those first 2 pics to my facebook page to try to show what look for in his pics?

I am still trying to get my brother to email me the vids and pics he took also...He can be a brat and is claiming my 30seconds of getting my sunglasses untangled from my ear buds cost us spending hours in grid lock...i don't feel like fighting him on it and he keeps pushing.

I hope i can get his...But the memory...i spent hours in grid lock reflecting on what i saw. I hope i never loose that.