Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ChillBilly

Mike Curry's Tiger Tail: Lethal Fly!

The Tiger Tail is a versatile little streamer fly developed by Mike Curry. First utilized in the Ozarks, this fly imitates damsel/dragonflies and other medium sized food sources for fish. Really easy fly to tie and there are endless possibilities for variation (see pic below). If you want to learn how to tie it up check out my video! It's my first try at these so let me know what you think.

Materials:

Hook: Any small streamer hook

Hook Sizes: 8, 10, 12

Eyes: Bead chain eyes (optional)

Thread: UNI-Thread 8/0 Rust Orange, Black

Body: Peacock Herl, Ice dub, or MS bugger dubbing

Tail: Dry Fly Hackle, olive, black & white, or golden

Weight: Lead wire

Hackle: Olive or Red bugger hackle

nice little wooly bugger variation

while peacock herl can be twisted around the tying thread for durability but on this fly its over wrapped by the hackle then the wire.

nice little wooly bugger variation

while peacock herl can be twisted around the tying thread for durability but on this fly its over wrapped by the hackle then the wire.

That is true! Thanks for the input and response.

I like it and the video,,,,,,..... the music..eh, so so

smile.png

thanks for posting.

Thanks for the feedback! It is difficult to find music without copyright restrictions, but I'll explore other alternatives for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the fly itself, I tied the tip end of the hackle behind the eyes yet it would look more 'pretty' if I tied it the other way around so that the longer fibers were at the front. Probably doesn't matter to the fish, plus the wire is going to trap some fibers regardless. I've tried tying without the wire and tying the hackle in at the back as well and caught numerous fish without the fly deconstructing... yet.