Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Classic Hairwing Salmonfly Swap

Norm, I've looked at several of your ties in the past and I am pretty sure I've seen your ribbing go clockwise and counter clockwise on different patterns. What is it that makes you wrap one way on a pattern and opposite on a different pattern?

Mind if I change my pattern? I've tied a few silver doctors and they look fine but for some reason I just can't bring myself to really like the pattern. They look great online and in books but I'm just not feeling it.

Not sure what I'll replace it with but it'll probably be black.

Norm, I've looked at several of your ties in the past and I am pretty sure I've seen your ribbing go clockwise and counter clockwise on different patterns. What is it that makes you wrap one way on a pattern and opposite on a different pattern?

i basically follow the direction shown in the reference sample i used to tie my flies

if the reference sample wraps clockwise then thats how i wrap the ribbing

heres the reference sample i used for this swap

i also try to tie my flies to look proportionally like the reference sample as much as possible

however there are always exceptions to the rule. sometimes when using peacock herl for the body, i will counterwrap the ribbing

Some help needed re heron substitute for a long collar... I'm tying a hairwing Brora I saw on this David McPhail video:

I'm almost there, but the blue eared pheasant I bought for the collar (to extend past the size 1.5 Spey hook) is all marabou, and useless. Is there a heron substitute that's easier and cheaper to come by than blue eared pheasant? Is that what whiting Spey saddles are used for? I'm looking for barbs around 1 3/4" in length (died black, but that's another issue)

Much thanks for any help

After researching a lot and experimenting a little I've come across a solution I haven't seen others use; I'm going to die Golden pheasant tippets black and use the middle portion of the larger feathers as a collar hackle. It looks right dry and also has a nice action wet.

Apologies for the distraction

Any other alternatives you might suggest are appreciated, or a truly reliable source for buying them via internet.. My efforts at buying large blue eared pheasant have been mighty and nearly fruitless. I found and bought a 10 pack on the internet for $15 but it's got only two feathers that are usable if I die them black.