Fly Tying
SilverCreek

The River Runs Through It - 25 Years Later

I believe the book and the movie are more about family than anything else and flyfishing is the vehicle that carries the story along. I have actually grown to enjoy the movie more now than when I first saw it in the theatre.

This movie absolutely changed my life and my fly fishing ............. forever. I'm a SW Montana native and have fly fished for over 50 years. "The Movie" immediately brought throngs of fly fishers to the area and they have never left. I'd like to drill Robert Redford right between the lugs. Am I selfish? Yes I am but who the hell ain't.

I enjoyed it, but wouldn't walk across the street to see it again. Secondhand Lions, now there's a movie.

As far as life changing movies ... and fishing destination bucket lists ... Gotta include "Avatar" in that genre.

I am now hoping to take the trip to Pandora. Untapped waters with unimaginable fish !!!

Come on, Resources Development Administration, get busy building the Venture Star !!!

Ha ha ... Wife wouldn't watch it, because she got so tired of me talking about it. I watched it more than a dozen times the first couple of months it was out. I was on the road, so I had plenty of evenings and weekends to go. That's how much I like it. Bought the CD soundtrack and the DVD.

It's as close to "fandom" as I've ever gotten. No other movie has ... enthralled ... me more.

You should watch it. If you don't like it, I'll apologize in person next Winter.

I keep looking in the fly shops for a metronome. I'm surprised the sale of these didn't skyrocket after that movie. It was the key factor in Maclean's fly casting, got to get that timing just so.

Read the book prior to,,, after the movie ....went on a family vacation to Montana and South Dakota...went an fished the movie version of the " sacred waters " ( i.e.yellowstone)...an the waters from the book ....it's true has a chick flicks part ...but I think ...why the film was so success ful was it was a first.....I think anyone that is in the need of something to do...fish an wander ..the book version an the movie version...it's fun ..an both fish good...

I keep looking in the fly shops for a metronome. I'm surprised the sale of these didn't skyrocket after that movie. It was the key factor in Maclean's fly casting, got to get that timing just so.

That was one of the parts of the movie I didn't ... care for. The timing is different with each foot or so of line you have out, so, unless the metronome is constantly adjusting ... it's not a realistic training tool.

Mike is correct that the timing is different for different lengths of line.

However, the metronome for fly casting is NOT without usefulness. Do not forget that the timing of a metronome is adjustable. A metronome is a double pendulum, and like the pendulum on a grandfather clock, it ticks off the timing. The lower weight is the fixed pendulum and the upper weight is the inverted pendulum that adjusts the timing. The higher the upper weight the longer the delay and the lower the upper weight the shorter the delay.

So theoretically, it can be set to the delay between forward and backcasts at multiple distances, but only one distance at a time. I think the value for a true beginner is that it reinforces that concept that there MUST be a delay after the backcast to allow the line to unroll. Beginners tend to have no delay at all and a metronome is a way to force a delay.

I am assuming that was the purpose of the whole metronome thing. As to whether it is very practical - I leave that up to each individual viewer.

metronom-73631.jpg

I'm on the same page as Mike, with this; but in the book it was the major tie to fly fishing. The description of the drunken brother "shadow casting" indicated that he had mastered the repetitive action of the metronome so well that the trout was hypnotized or bemused into biting. Like hundreds of false casts over the lie with out setting the fly on the water.

On the water, I think more than a couple strokes are wasted effort.

The take away from this portion of the story was, for me, if your little brother runs with druggies and steals from the crime boss, he might be found in an alley with every thieving finger smashed. And from the second part of the book, big sturdy girls are better in the business because they can take the abuse better and one with a soft southern accent is more attractive to the johns. The part about the FS work was either just reminiscing about being fifteen years old or I missed his point.

The over all theme is preachers are lousy fathers and mothers look the other way.

It's been a long time ago though and if I reread it today I might get some different meanings, Book was fresh out then and was gifted to me by a nonfishing inlaw that thought it was about fly fishing. I took the fishing as just filler to increase the word count. In my mind if the book had been published ten years earlier or ten years later it would have failed.