Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Red Badger

Hellgrammite

I remember when I was bait fishing (bait, ugly word, eh? JKJK) and we (my father and I) used hellgramites on the Delaware. Those suckers had large jaws, so i made my dad hook them biggrin.gif . He was almost as scared as i was! However, the hellgramites proved to be very productive. I always carry some hellgramite patterns with me where ever i go.

That's funny. I can remember my father and I in that same capacity.You get over it pretty quick once you realize how effective they are.

We've got hellgramites all over the place where I live!!! They are killer for smallies! They absolutely crush them. When they hatch, think of a stone fly.........with big a@@ pinchers for it's mandibles.........oh yeah. and the size of a small bat!!! You can here these things coming from a distance! Nasty A## bug, but wicked for small mouth! James D TB7

First time I saw one was the first time I used the the nymph as bait. I thought they were nasty in the bait container then... about 3 o'clock in the morning, dozing off to sleep on the river bank with a flashlight that was about spent. I Noticed a big "moth" that couldn't fly worth a damn... landed right on me. I FREAKED. pinchers were way longer then that picture posted above. Nightmares for a year.

I've read the adults don't pinch as hard as the nymphs. More for decoration. Makes sense, less leverage.

the adults land on the screen of our screened in porch at our cabin. lol wanna hear my wife scream so loud it ruptures your eardrums take one of them near her. lol