Fly Tying
Hatchet Jack

In case you're unawares -

(this is a spin-off of flytire's post about the smoker at the gas station)

Most of you chaps probably know this but just in case.....

Long ago, I had gotten my first truck and of course, that involved getting a cap and bed-liner too.

I was way up north on a fishing trip and I stopped in at the gas station to fill up the tank, and to fill up my 5 gallon plastic fuel jug. I was going further on & needed some extra fuel out in the bush.

As I slid the empty fuel jug out from the plastic bed-liner, I heard a LOUD snap and sensed a huge static electricity spark near the jug. I was surprised as it being July; the humidity was off the charts and I thought how odd to hear such a spark under these conditions.

I put the jug down on the ground near the pump and filled it up. As it was filling, I read a posted sign on the pump that any jug must be filled on the ground, as the likelihood of static build-up with a jug not grounded is very high. This was brand new info to me, and I had never heard of such a condition, but my experience was fresh and first-hand. And fortunate!

So, be mindful of this hazard and stay un-burnt. I have been on fire once and it's an experience one should never go through.

Thanks for reading, stay safe.

Yep pretty much all gas pumps these days say no smoking, have the approved container on the ground, and don't get back into & out of the vehicle because of static charges (some mention cell phones as well). Can a cell phone or static from getting in & out cause a fire issue....who knows, but personally I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to things like flammable/combustible/hazardous things.

I'm so old that I can remember when most trucks and a lot of cars had chains or leather straps that drug on the road to ground the vehicle.

Steve, there have several videos over the years showing people getting out of there car and sparking a fire. If I do have to get back in truck or car for anything when I get out I ground myself on the vehicle to just play it safe. There was a Costco in MN where they were STRICT. No car running while you fueled. They wouldn't turn pump until you turned off. Get back in car while fueling and pump would be shut off. Cigarette? Pump would stay shut off. Lots of people would get pissed in hot or cold weather but their gas was the cheapest in the cities and you knew it was fresh because they pumped huge amounts.