Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Husky9000

Funny how things work out

I started tying about a year ago...I struggle, but the flys are getting better and my technique is improving slowly.

Anyway...My wife and I have been saving for a small cabin for years and late this Summer we found the right deal. the former owners live out of state and decided it was too much trouble and expense to move their stuff out of the cabin, so they sold it as is with everything that was in the cabin and on the property, Furniture, dishes and well you get the idea. As we were sorting through the stuff and re-organizing the cabin, I located a box of feathers and hooks and patches of deer hair and other stuff, and then I found a new "Tying Set" of tools and a vise. There was also an old Herters 8 1/2 fly rod with a Herters Auto-Reel in the shed. Looks like the owners had been starting down the road to tying. I found some attempts at flys that make some of mine look good...there were some good ones too that put mine to shame. His wife sewed, and it looks like he was tying with heavy sewing thread. I will fish his flys and tie when I am there in the evening and when it isn't fishing weather.

Funny how things work out.

Pretty cool how the previous owner left you all that fly tying stuff.

I take it, it's near water which is neat.

After a day's fishing you can tie what you saw during the day to match the hatch the next.

Most of my first orders for tying materials were to Herter's. Once of the few places you could get anything back in the 60s. Glad you found a good deal on a cabin in the woods.

The cabin is in a Hunt & Fish club with 5 private lakes and some small mountin streams, with the Rio Grande River just 8 miles away to the headwaters.

Sounds like you and your family found a very special place.

A place Where you all can fish and have fun at for a very long time.

Congrats!