Fly Tying
eastern fly

Late 2017 Euro style / Nymphs Swap

Got mine yesterday the fish are going to be in trouble once the ice is gone. Nice job by everyone!

Picked up my box today. These are going to be some of the most used flies on the rivers by all the swappers. If I get out to some of the stocker holes I'll have one or two on I know. Great, great looking bunch of trout's main food.

Besides getting some top shelf flies, this swap caused me to learn more about Euro style fishing.

IMO and summary the flies are tied with a streamlined profile and are weighted.

These two features allows the fly to quickly get to the strike zone without adding obtrusive weight.

Sink rate of the fly is determined by the type and amount of weight built into them. The type flyline also matters but is a topic for another discussion.

This was such a great swap Eastern Fly, thanks for hosting.

Besides getting some top shelf flies, this swap caused me to learn more about Euro style fishing.

These two features allows the fly to quickly get to the strike zone without adding obtrusive weight.

Sink rate of the fly is determined by the type and amount of weight built into them. The type flyline also matters but is a topic for another discussion.

Thank you. This style of fishing calls for a different rod and line set up so I plan to get a new rod (what a shame) to get set up for this. I'm going to tye a lot more flies as well.

Kevin

Thank you. This style of fishing calls for a different rod and line set up so I plan to get a new rod (what a shame) to get set up for this. I'm going to tye a lot more flies as well.

Kevin

I am a Euro nymphing junkie, hence the username lol, if you're looking into a decent rod check out syndicates for sure.

I concur with EuroOrBust, I can't say enough good things about my Syndicate FF 11' 3wt. It's been an excellent rod. After testing mine, I have a couple friends that also purchased Syndicates. They are also very happy. I like the length of the 11' and the fighting butt of the 3wt.

I have the 10' 3wt and 11' 2wt, I would highly recommend both, super sensitive tips on each, enough backbone to fight a 20"+ trout if you hook into one, and they also second as a decent dry fly rod if you need to make a switch on the river, both rods do an awesome job protecting light tippets, I fish all the way down to 9x Varivas on mine

Kevin, I picked up one of Steeldrifter's bargain sales awhile back. A 10' 3/4wt. graphite. His usual high quality rod with class handle and seat but actually a little more subdued than those special rods he makes for guys sport teams and such. Great rod for this kind of work though it had limited use on the couple of tailwaters I've fished this summer. Used it a couple of sections and though my first preference in build material is bamboo, bamboo is too heavy in longer lengths and this 10' rod feels like handling one of my 8' bamboos.