Fly Tying
Troutslayer101

Wooly Bugger Twist

So I have been making wooly buggers for awhile now and have been using hackle from a cape but I picked up some whiting Farm bugger packs and for some reason the last few wooly buggers I have tied I"m getting line twist. Has any had this problem before if so is there a way to fix it. I'm tying them the same way I always have just using bugger hackle. I don't think it is the bugger hackle but not sure why I'm having this problem.

I think he is talking about twist in the leader/tippet, not the tying thread.

Is the new hackle stiffer? Stiffer hackle is more wind resistant and that can cause a fly to spin on the cast/retreive. Try softer hackle or alternately you could put a small swivel where the tippet and leader meet.

I think he is talking about twist in the leader/tippet, not the tying thread.

Is the new hackle stiffer? Stiffer hackle is more wind resistant and that can cause a fly to spin on the cast/retreive. Try softer hackle or alternately you could put a small swivel where the tippet and leader meet.

Or slow down your cast.

Just a guess, the "bugger" hackle are heavy saddles and the cape feathers you used before have fine stems and thin fibers, in essence each turn of the heavy hackle may be equivalent to two turns of the light neck hackle, resulting in a larger heavier fly, if there is also a significant difference in the width of the hackle (length of fibers) the fly will have more bulk/more face; what this means is that using the same tackle as before results in too small or too long of a leader for the heavier fly.

I would try first with a larger tippet say 4X rather than 5X, then try shortening the tippet a bit and follow that by shortening the mid section of a tapered leader.Of course your millage may vary.

You could also perhaps strip one side of the hackle or make fewer turns to get a fly more nearly what you had previously. Some saddles are just too soft and webby to suit me on a woolly unless tied very sparse.

At least I think leader failure to push/turnover/control the fly is a cause of line twist, Casting technics can also add to this, but i will presume you are still making about the same sort of casts.

Now as previously mentioned pictures of both hackles and examples of both flies are in order so that the fellows can give you a better analysis. .

I agree with tjm, strip away one side of the hackle, that's what I've always done with webby hackles on my buggers. Less bulk should cut down on twist.

If you're already doing that, well, then I've got nothing...

Try making a few touching wraps of hackle immediately behind the head of the fly- right before you tie it off. This CAN help if all the other variables are accounted for... if acts as a sort of shield to disturb air flow on the cast and water flow on the retrieve. Stiffer hackle spiral wrapped (palmered) makes the fly act like a turbine on the cast and retrieve. I have experienced the exact thing you talk about many times. Everyone has their own idea of how they want their WBs to look, some don't like an obvious hackle "collar" at the front of the fly. I have never encountered fish which cared. Make sure your marabou tail is tied correctly so that it is not fouling in the hook bend- that will twist terribly. You can just let your tippet untwist after every few casts. You can use a much heavier tippet which will not twist as easily - going from 5x to 4x will do almost nothing -, you could use a swivel, any number of things. Or go back to softer hackle if it bothers you that much. Really good soft bugger hackle is rare in this modern age. 30 years ago a Metz #2 saddle had perfect bugger hackle. I still have a few and wouldn't trade them for any material.

Or, you could tie half your flies wrapped one way, and half tied the other way 'round... over a lifetime of fishing the twist will cancel itself out....

Or, you could tie half your flies wrapped one way, and half tied the other way 'round... over a lifetime of fishing the twist will cancel itself out....

I got a good chuckle out of that.