Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Finishing Knots

I do two turns with a little Superglue on them, then I do four half hitches with superglue on the last hitch, then I do three whip finishes of 6 turns each. Coat that with a few layers of fingernail polish. Then I do a couple of full windsor knots and a bowtie knot just to make it look pretty. Coat all of that with a thick layer of UV resin and set it.

Them there flies don't never fall apart. Don't catch no fish, neither ... but they sure don't fall apart !!!

tongue.png

For me it depends on many factors. 1. weather or not I've lost my whipping tool, then several half hitches 2. weather or not I cement. If I cement, then I use less whipping turns if I don't, then I usually like other use 2 whip knots with 4-6 turns. 3. if it's a snelled on a blind hook, then I rarely do more than a 4 turn whip or use half hitches then almost always put at least on coat of cement on it. 4. If I want a shinny head, a small or large head ect. Either way I most always apply a generous amount of wax before making the finishing knot.

it makes a big difference depending on what type of fly you are finishing. A Catskill dry fly with one hackle stem being held down by the final wraps? Probably one half hitch with waxed thread will hold well enough. A heavily dressed bucktail? Try a half hitch and get back to me. I take pride in my flies. A whip finish is easy, very secure, and instills confidence. At the finishing head of a fly, I have yet to run into a situation where a whip finish is NOT better than a half hitch. I first learned to do a whip finish by hand when I was maybe 12? I had been tying for a couple years up that point, learning from books checked out of the library. A couple of school friends also were tying flies, and I remember being fairly proud that I had figured it out... I stuck with doing a hand whip finish for many many years. Now I use a tool most of the time. Perhaps due to rougher skin on my fingers, and up-close vision not being what it was when I was 30, I feel a whip tool gives me better control.

I almost always just whip by hand. I honestly don't even know how to half hitch a fly. The number of turns, whips and wether or not I use cement depends on the size of the fly. Small quick flies and carp flies go without cement. Most streamers, and more involved flies get shhan after a couple 4 turn whips.