Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

This fly keeps getting sold out at my work. We cannot keep them in stock. They are some of the best, and most productive annelid patterns we carry. The deep ribs, and contrast with the thread and D-Rib create a super bold fly that attracts fish like crazy!

It took a few tries to figure out how to tie this fly, but after I figured it out, it really isn't all that difficult. I will say, the original that we have at our work doest have the black tag at the end, but seems to get the black ribs another way. While I can tie them that way as well, they take a bit longer, and I find this way is easier and quicker. Its also just as effective.

Here is a list of materials I used on the fly
Hook: Umpqua U203 in size 20
Red Thread: UTC Ultra Thread 70
Black Thread: Danville's fly master 6/0
Ribbing: Midge sized D-Rib in Red
Finishing Resin - Solarez "Bone Dry" UV curing resin

What happened to your thread is you didn't use a bobbin rest when you utilize the rotary feature of your vise. You could buy one if you don't own one or fabricate one out of a large sized paper clip, then you wouldn't have that problem.

What happened to your thread is you didn't use a bobbin rest when you utilize the rotary feature of your vise. You could buy one if you don't own one or fabricate one out of a large sized paper clip, then you wouldn't have that problem.

I tie so many of these for work and other small midge patterns. About 20 to 30 dozen per week. This is how I tie for work and I never use a Bobbin rest... it turns out the issue I had with the thread is that some super glue got on it and therefore it was fraying. I had forgotten which spool had to superglue and I meant to throw it away but I never did. Needless to say I tossed thats pool the other day when I realized it. I didnt find out about it until I tried tying another pattern when I wasnt filming. Not using a bobbin holder will not fray Thread, and I actually find it takes longer to half hitch and then rest it. Rather than simply unwind the thread from the hook after using the rotary feature. You do have to make sure you rotary the right direction though or it will unravel your wraps.