Fly Tying
CSwinton

Rotary functionality - Regal Revolution vs Renzetti

I'm looking for an upgrade from my Renzetti Traveler which was damaged during some travel. Overall I've loved the rotary function of the Renzetti and am considering the Presentation 2000 for the ability to easily fine-tune the center of rotation for various hook sizes, although I probably tie mostly size 10-22. However, I LOVE the look and sturdiness of the Regal Revolution but have never had the chance to tie on one. With the Regal, how does one account for different hook sizes with regards to keeping the hook centered as it rotates?

I simply want to understand the strengths of the Regal Revolution as compared with the Renzetti line with which I'm more familiar. Would the rotary function of the revolution be a step backwards from what I'm used to or simply different?

the revolution appears to have no vise head adjustability in the vertical position as opposed to the renzetti which has 3 positioning holes in the vise head

i would say the only positioning on the revolution is positioning the hook bend vertically in the jaws

i have the renzetti traveler (since 1988) and i have never repositioned the vise head regardless of size of hook to make the hook shank directly in line with vise axis. a little vertical wobble is fine with me

how badly damaged is the traveler? fixing it is probably easy

Flytire is right.

You position the hook on the vise with the shank in line with the axis of rotation.

The rotation advantage of the Revolution over my old Medallion is the knob/handle to rotate the head smothly with one finger, instead of having to grab the jaw assembly itself. The jaws and adjustability are much the same.

I'm sure I can fix the traveler - already have some parts on order - may give it to my brother once repaired. The alternative is to just get another traveler since I know and like it (and it's cheaper). I didn't change the vise-head position that much with my traveler so I may not need the finer-tuned ability of the Presentation 2000 with the extra joint/knuckle on the arm.

Flytire is right.

You position the hook on the vise with the shank in line with the axis of rotation.

The rotation advantage of the Revolution over my old Medallion is the knob/handle to rotate the head smothly with one finger, instead of having to grab the jaw assembly itself. The jaws and adjustability are much the same.

Do you feel you can get the hook in a nice centered position with most sizes on the Revolution?

I do not own a Revo, just the old Medallion. And barely use rotation for the flies I tie, so I can tell you that it can be done but I do not know how easy you may get used to it coming from a Renzetti.

It almost sounds like you have decided to get a new vise no matter what. But, if you like what you have and it works well for you...

I do not own a Revo, just the old Medallion. And barely use rotation for the flies I tie, so I can tell you that it can be done but I do not know how easy you may get used to it coming from a Renzetti.

It almost sounds like you have decided to get a new vise no matter what. But, if you like what you have and it works well for you...

Yes, I'm likely to get something new either way - my brother wants to learn and I can give him the old one for the cost of parts. Since I've only ever used the Renzetti I don't know how well I'd like something else so that's why I'm asking here where folks likely have experience with many of them. The appeal of the Revolution (to me) is the ease of loading hooks of any size with no needed adjustments and it seems more substantial and durable than my Traveler - at least from fiddling with it in the shop. I realize that personal preference is likely the largest contributing factor, but hearing opinions of more experienced people can be helpful. ;)

If you get the Regal, get the SS jaws. They're smaller and I think tougher than the regular jaws.

I don't use rotary very much. I've got a Renzetti, a fine vise, and a Regal. But I tie almost exclusively on my HMH Standard. Go figure.

maybe the new hmh is worth a look at

spartan-trv-352x480.jpg

or just head out to your local fly shop and play around with a revolution if they have it in stock

In use the rotor feature often. Renzeti standard jaws holds many hook sizes. More then regal. It has also been noted regal can break hooks or jaws easy as compared but to do a true rotator I would favor renzeti which is my goto vise. Regal looks solid feels solid and looks good on display but collects dust for me. In summary it depends on how you use and what you tie to determine which suits you best.

I have a Traveler, for traveling, and have tied on a 2000, but my vise at home is a Renzetti Presentation 4000. MUCH nicer vise, smoother action, and a much more pleasant tying experience. If you are going to upgrade, ... UPgrade!

Like Flytyer, the only adjustment I usually make is to set the jaw width for different hooks. I regularly tie from size 6 to size 20.

I have a Traveler, for traveling, and have tied on a 2000, but my vise at home is a Renzetti Presentation 4000. MUCH nicer vise, smoother action, and a much more pleasant tying experience. If you are going to upgrade, ... UPgrade!

I guess I hadn't realized there was a ton of difference between the 2000 and 4000. Looking at the specs, it seems the 4000 is stainless vs anodized aluminum for the 2000. Are there other key differences I'm missing aside from the extra joint on the 2000?

Following your logic, I should just go all-in and get the Special Edition Master Vise and REALLY UPgrade! ;)

Presentation 2000 has the knuckle for adjusting jaw position. The 4000 is like a more robust and refined Traveler with added features (e.g., ball bearing rotation and one-way rotary actuator).