Fly Tying
Kimo

December flies from the Vise

I really admire the patience you guys need to tie married wing flies.

I do not have it.

Marrying is the easy part, staying married is where the patience comes in! Can't tell you how often they split when

I'm trying to tie them in.

When marrying wings, it is imperative in using a matched pair if winging material, and you must keep the rights with the rights, and lefts with the lefts

It is imperative in keeping the rights]p

Sure Bruce ... bring politics into this discussion !!! tongue.png

qtueak8l.jpg

Jeff... If you are on the HMH pro staff then ignore this reply. If you do qualify then it would behoove you to enter this pattern or one or two of your other innovative deer hair creations into the HMH tying contest described on the Fly Swaps & Contests forum. I think they just need a photo and you have another week to enter.

Finally getting back to the vice after being away for a little while. Tied up some soft hackles using fire orange UTC thread for the body, overwrapped with mylar and covered with Loon Flow resin. Peacock herl collar is added and Brahma grizzly is used for the hackle. A very simple fly that I hope the winter stocked trout like.

23972270547_b4778d937d_z.jpg

Kimo,

What UV liquid are you using? I bought a product, Tuffleye Finish, several years ago that I have been trying to use up. It is a little tacky after cured, a slightly sticky material on the surface, and that gets on the herl, making it sticky. I need a non-sticky product.

Ray

Kimo,

What UV liquid are you using? I bought a product, Tuffleye Finish, several years ago that I have been trying to use up. It is a little tacky after cured, a slightly sticky material on the surface, and that gets on the herl, making it sticky. I need a non-sticky product.

Ray

Ray,

I use the Loon products.

I also use a laser or the CCG flashlight to "bench cure".

After I have several flies tied I put it a Nail Curing ($13) oven for a couple of minutes for my scuds or

any flies that have a really thick coating.

s-l1600.jpg

I've been doing this way for years and don't have a problem with "tackiness".

Besides, the Loon products are readily available and the least expensive.

Kimo

You do know, Kimo, that there are other background colors besides black ... right? dry.png

That "Black on Black" on a black background ... well, it MIGHT be a good looking fly if I could see it.

Just saying ... wink.png

You do know, Kimo, that there are other background colors besides black ... right? dry.png

That "Black on Black" on a black background ... well, it MIGHT be a good looking fly if I could see it.

Just saying ... wink.png

24799482_1797253943619239_69711605555484

Kimo

Ray. I use the CCG light like you do. Haven't tried the Tuffefleye product. I use either CCG, what I have left of it, Bug Bond and I do have a bottle of the Loon UV. Sounds like you do the same thing I do which is wrap the body apply and cure the UV resin, then add the peacock herl thorax and hackle. One suggestion is to pick up a box of alcohol wipes at your local CVS, Rite Aid, or whatever you have around you. Wipe down the cured body with one and let it sit for a couple of minutes that will get rid of the tackiness. I'll tie up several bodies, set them aside then finish them up. Another thing I do is apply MOP transfer foil to the heavier coated bodies gives it some extra sparkle and gets rid of the tackiness.

post-309-0-55128200-1512490894_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-51335600-1512490957_thumb.jpg

qtueak8l.jpg

Jeff... If you are on the HMH pro staff then ignore this reply. If you do qualify then it would behoove you to enter this pattern or one or two of your other innovative deer hair creations into the HMH tying contest described on the Fly Swaps & Contests forum. I think they just need a photo and you have another week to enter.

Yep I know about it.

Haven't tied in over a month. Been moving around, and finally got the tying bench set up. Thought I'd start small, it's blue wing olive and midge time after all.

#18 TMC 206BL

CDL tail

turkey biot body

superfine thorax

poly yarn wingpost

Med dun saddle

post-61269-0-67670300-1512505057_thumb.jpg