Fly Tying
Kimo

December flies from the Vise

I would appreciate knowing what cameras each of you who have posted the big, beautiful images of well-tied flies are using to achieve these results, and I would love to see an image and description of the set-ups you have for lights and refraction. I saw Kimo's and the cardboard box which I thought was ingenious. I would like to see more and also get any suggestions for improving my photography.

I have said for several years I was going to do better in that area, a new camera, or actually in my case, "A Camera", rather than my iPhone and iPad.

I am also going to set up a light system and some type of box or enclosure, but as far as knowledge, I am winging it, except or what I am learning from y'all, and I thank you for that!! :)

Ray

Harold,

Photo information is Chock-a-block on the Photography Corner forum below.

Like this one ....

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=84227&hl=%2Btaking+%2Bpictures&do=findComment&comment=675288

Let's not derail the "flies of the month" thread with a drawn out conversation on this, please.

I would appreciate knowing what cameras each of you who have posted the big, beautiful images of well-tied flies are using to achieve these results, and I would love to see an image and description of the set-ups you have for lights and refraction. I saw Kimo's and the cardboard box which I thought was ingenious. I would like to see more and also get any suggestions for improving my photography.

I have said for several years I was going to do better in that area, a new camera, or actually in my case, "A Camera", rather than my iPhone and iPad.

I am also going to set up a light system and some type of box or enclosure, but as far as knowledge, I am winging it, except or what I am learning from y'all, and I thank you for that!! smile.png

Ray

Ray,

What vise are you tying on?

Kimo

HMH Standard, Kimo. I just read some of your info, along with others, on the Photo Board, and your website, through the link Mike posted. All of that certainly helped me understand this better. I really know very little about photography, but I’ll improve given a little time and this new knowledge.

Ray

Mike,

Unfortunately, I am a photo neophyte so I appreciate your suggestion on the other Board. I’ve been in and out of here for years and didn’t even know a Photography Board exited. I’ve just overlooked it. In a short time, I read quite a bit there, learned a lot more than I already knew, and can see how I can improve things already, but I’m also pretty certain I won’t derail anything here with only 2 days left in December by asking one question, especially after several other technique questions and responses have been posted throughout the month resulting only in increased knowledge. Having enjoyed the spectacular images found on this thread, I can see no better place to ask a related question just as others have already done.

I believe the “Monthly Flies from the Vise” is a great idea and a spectacular success in improving the abilities of all who participate through tying, photographing, and posting, or just reading all the posts and being stunned by the images, but when you have the flies, the images, and the people who both tied and photographed them, I can’t think of a better place to learn how they did it.

I understand your concern but learning here throughout each month, whether tying technique, materials, photographic methodology, or anything else related to making this thread better seems a great goal to me. Because of that, I believe related discussions occasionally interspersed through the thread during the month can only increase the abilities and knowledge of all of us who participate and read here daily.

Thanks again for the link. It helped.

Ray

Actually, Harold, I think your question is just fine here. Discussions on photographic methods crop up every month, it seems.

My concern isn't that it'll screw up this thread ... but that it'll drag this thread days or weeks into January.

Ray, for now I am going to let flytire decide whether further off-topic discussion is proper because it was his OP, that started this thread. I do not see any overt breach of the official rules or etiquette, such as they are. Maybe we should update and clarify them in 2018.

I can remind you and others that it seldom works out well to argue or disregard the warnings or advice of the moderators. I do not perceive you were doing such in your explantory, albeit lengthy, response about Mike's linkage to a photo section of the site.

Now everyone... Carry On.... We are not going to lock this kind of thread, we meaning Steel, as Mike and I are here to alert Steel to potential troubles. Steel singularly has discretion and power to lock a thread, or take other actions deemed necessary. It should be that way as the Success for +decade shows. Now I am guilty of going off-topic So here is are some more flies for Dec 2017:IMG_2674.JPG

Malloch's Favorite (variation)

25516053738_750dc9436e_c.jpg

39385950571_7ace9b5fae_c.jpg

39385950371_0ba4c066c0_c.jpg

Another one from Claretbumbler. Original calls for woodcock wing; the skin I have is wingless so I went with hen pheasant..

hook - Mustad 3906 #10

thread - Danville 6/0 black

tail - bronze mallard (this was some stuff from the tip of the feather so a bit pale)

body - tinsel silver/stripped peacock herl

hackle - hen dun

wing - hen pheasant wing

Regards,

Scott

Wow! That would go great in a book! :D