Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Show us your vessel

That's a beautiful Kayak, Michael. Did you build it?

On another site I belong to, there's a guy who's always building a canoe, kayak or skiff. Fascinating, to see one of those go together.

Do you have and use the spray skirt? Do you fish out of that? Where do you put your gear?

I'd be too cautious to put anything under those bungees that might scratch the wood.

Mikechell,

Thank you for the complement. I do appreciate it. Yes I did make this and some others. I only have 11 to my name so far. Too many smaller projects are getting in the way of finishing my 12th.

When I'm in saltwater I do where a skirt, paddle float, stirrup and a tow belt. However I have not fished in open water as of yet. There is a ton of space in the cockpit to keep some of my gear and both front and rear I have bulkheads with access on top.

As for putting anything under the bungees, it is all repairable. There is a sandwich of fiberglass on the outside and the inside. There is also 4 coats of Spar varnish on anything exposed to the sun. It will take a lot of abuse. Three years ago they were on my truck and someone thought it was easier to go behind my truck and drove away. Just a bit if damage to the kayak, however they nearly destroyed the new rack I had built 3 days prior. Oh well. It gave me some shop time that winter.

post-46603-0-97219400-1513199958_thumb.jpg

post-46603-0-36783600-1513199985_thumb.jpg

I had one get parked on top of a ledge. We just waited for the next wave to drag it off and we were off and paddling again. There was a good scratch, It never broke through the glass however that winter I added a patch of glass and a new coat of finish and we are still paddling that one.

Michael

E,

I still remember when you originally posted your beautiful work. Glad to see they are as strong as they are beautiful. You could make a profession out of making these! Id like to see them full of fish for dinner!

Beautiful work Michael, do you build your own designs?, I would love to see some more photo's, Thank you for adding to the post.

This is my Native Versa. Great to be able to stand without any wobble or fear of falling off. She isn't the fastest to paddle, but she is stable, strong, and easy to tote. We've caught a lot of fish together.

post-61373-0-23765900-1527862770_thumb.jpg

She isn't the fastest to paddle, but she is stable, strong, and easy to tote.

I've never understood the need to call a boat "she". With the exception of my wife, I don't know a single female I'd trust my life to.

But then, I don't name any of my vehicles.

Boats are fickle, unreliable and always needing something, may have something to do with the common gender thing. They often leak, too.

It actually goes back to dedicating a ship to a goddess so as to have her protection at sea.

But I found a rendering of a sign once seen on our naval ships:

“A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.”

Boats are fickle, unreliable and always needing something, may have something to do with the common gender thing. They often leak, too.

sounds like my ex wife :)

I have two small boats. The smaller of the two is mostly for testing old outboards that I restore as a hobby.

post-34209-0-11434600-1527892790_thumb.jpg

post-34209-0-64466300-1527892807_thumb.jpg

post-34209-0-06576600-1527892818_thumb.jpg

I kind of restore old motors as well. Kind of. I actually have a 1992 outboard that I work very dillenglty on to keep it running. I've never named a boat but I refer to my boat as "Please start."

You have to name your boats or else you'll have crappy luck. I just think of Grateful Dead songs. The Sea Nymph is "Dark Star" and the Smokercraft is "Wharf Rat".

"Luck" is superstition. Since I am not superstitious, I don't have to name inanimate objects.

My boats, motorcycles, cars, etc. are just things. Things don't get named.

My cats all have names.