Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Tye v Tie

Like Bimini15 said, why do you accept fly "tying" but not fly "tyer?" You have to add "er" to "tie" to label a person who ties flies. So that to work and not look stupid, you change the spelling of the root word. The changed spelling of the root word makes more sense to me than having confusing and cumbersome words like fly-tier and fly-tieing. I think all are grammatical though. But I also think they needed to be hyphenated to be grammatical. But either way, who gives a phlip? Grammatical rules (grammars) are tricky anyway and are acquired not as much through formal study, but rather inherent in just using language. But that's for another subject, so back to whackin' trout.

I can't speak for you, JS ... but I know I'VE gotten smarter as I've aged. But then, the older I got, the smarter my parents got, too. They made NO sense when I was a teenager ... but started getting smarter and making more sense as I got older.

Hankinsfly ...

1) '... why do you accept fly "tying" but not fly "tyer?" ...'

"Tying" has been correct in the dictionary for a long time ... "tyer" has only recently been added as vocabularies evolve (devolve?). We've established that, in the proper sentence, either spelling can be appropriate.

2) "Grammatical rules (grammars) are tricky anyway and are acquired not as much through formal study, but rather inherent in just using language."

Excuse me but ... what?!?! Are you saying you think people get better at grammar just by using it? To be slightly non-PC ... Ebonics be sayin' dat ain't so, foshizzle !!!

Here is one of the things I have learned in this forum:

Both fly tier and fly tyer are are accepted.

Neither one enjoys linguistics lessons.

And... Vise. Vice means something to do with an inner city.

Jeff

Ha ha ha ... yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. As if everyone in the suburbs or rural areas is free of vices !!!

Unfortunately, rural area vice sometimes involves farm animals.

And... Vise. Vice means something to do with an inner city.

Jeff

Ha ha ha ... yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. As if everyone in the suburbs or rural areas is free of vices !!!

Unfortunately, rural area vice sometimes involves farm animals.
But unfortunately not exclusively.

Back in the old days Wyoming had some school free drugs zones. By old days I mean the 1970s. Rock Springs, Wyoming made 60 minutes, and there were murders in western Wyoming related to these activities.

Horrible era in our history.

Back in the old days Wyoming had some school free drugs zones.

A "School free drug zone". Man, that must have been something.

Back when I was in high school in the mid-1970's our school was a "school drug zone". It wasn't as bad as a school free drug zone though.

We do not have any problems with drugs in schools down here in Florida.

We have as many drugs in schools as you could ever want. No problem.

Back in the old days Wyoming had some school free drugs zones.

A "School free drug zone". Man, that must have been something.

Back when I was in high school in the mid-1970's our school was a "school drug zone". It wasn't as bad as a school free drug zone though.

It was big wake up call for bucolic buffalo roaming region, more than deer and antelope played. The openess in Rock Springs was shocking and most citizenry avoided parts of town after sunset.

The "school free- drug zone" is my, only slightly hyperbolic, characterization. A Mayor was prosecuted, the Attorney General removed. Dark Days Indeed. It is all back in the closet now.....

Mikechell- doesn't matter. I'd invite you to research my point of the inherent grammars of language acquisition as opposed to formal study, but it really doesn't make a damn. I just wanna fish!

You Yankees may not understand, but it isn't your fault. Down south we talk about pecans and pecans. "Peecans" are a cheap nut that sells in lower grocery stores like Walmart for about two dollars a pound. "PaCons" are an expensive gourmet nut sold in Publics , Whole Foods or a specialty shop for 11.99 a pound.

If you fashion mop flies, you are a tier. It you craft split wood duck winged light Cahills or full dress salmon wet flies, you are a tyer. Capeesh or capiche or capisce?

Argot is to keep the baitfishers at bay.