Fly Tying

The bling midge is one of the more popular flies on the San Juan river. I generally tie it in black, but it is effective in gray, brown, cream, and a variety of other colors. Its easy to tie, and very effective when trying to mimic a midge. The flash collar attracts fish, and also acts like a wing case. While I am tying this very small, it doesn't have to be tied this small only. For the San Juan River, I generally fish a size 22-26 size midge pattern, but other rivers might allow for larger midges and therefor easier to tie and fish.

Hook: TMC 101 size 22
Thread: Veevus 16/0 in Black
Flash: Pearl Flashabou
Resin: Solarez Bone Dry UV Curing Resin

McFly - I'll probably never get to the San Juan but being curious. What size tippets are customarily used drifting these small flies through the current to trout that get lots of pressure? Are they mostly fished with indicators? Thanks

McFly - I'll probably never get to the San Juan but being curious. What size tippets are customarily used drifting these small flies through the current to trout that get lots of pressure? Are they mostly fished with indicators? Thanks

I generally do fine with flouro 5x-6x. But if I go down to size 28 hook I have to go down to 7x to get it through the eye. Unless I use that tiny gamakatsu. I forgot the hook number, but it has an enlarged eye. The fish are less line shy, but they are very fly size shy. The midges in that river are more like the size of 32 hooks, even smaller actually. So if the water is clear, the trout generally wont touch larger than 24-22... the smaller you go, the more hits you get, especially from the larger and smarter fish that have been hooked 100s of times.

I try to nymph most spots without an indicator, but with runs I cant reach out to, I will use an indicator. I find the trout arent shy with indicators if you use a clear or white one. That sorta resembles the foam on the water. But no indicator and high sticking is more sensitive and therefore more likely to get a good hook set on these fish that bite softly.

5-6 in my limited experience, yes on indicators. If drift boat in use.

Hope McFly will ring in, because I am curious if advances in leader tech allows a larger tippet strength. Had a lot of break offs on my trip... in the 90's

5-6 in my limited experience, yes on indicators. If drift boat in use.

Hope McFly will ring in, because I am curious if advances in leader tech allows a larger tippet strength. Had a lot of break offs on my trip...

I rarely break off, my fly pulls out or bends before my 6x tippet breaks. Always toss old tippet spools, one year max for nylon, maybe 2-3 years for flouro. The only time I lose Flies on that river are when I use old tippet or tie a bad knot. Or fish a larger nymph/Streamer.

My $.02. i agree with McFly. 5-6x flouro. Nothing bigger than 22. 24's and 26's mostly. You can fish two flies and the hooks have to be barbless. I've had good luck fishing under a clear small Air-Lock indicator. (http://bozemanangler.com/montana-fly-fishing-blog/posts/137/Product-Review-Air-Lock-Strike-Indicators/). The screw top makes it really convenient to adjust for depth. When the fish are rising to emergers fishing those little midges like you would a dry/emerger has been a great tactic for me. The fly is in under the meniscus, if a fish "rises" where you think your fly is set the hook. With the tiny hooks the set doesn't need to be very hard, just tighten up on the line. If you missed the fish let your drift continue.

I'ma convert to Trout Hunter flouro. IMHO it's head and shoulders better than Rio, etc.

Thanks for the intel. Hope you don't mind more questions. Do the regulations call for barbless hooks only or is that your own choice? Do you use a turle knot, double davy or some other knot to attach the #22 and smaller hooks? I looked up the trouthunter material. I wasn't familiar with half sizes or 10X. Learned something new.

For the quality water section of the San Juan it is barbless only.

I use a Duncan loop for attaching most flies because its quick, strong and leaves a small loop.

Trout hunter is good stuff for sure! I like it better than Rio as well, but its not like crazy better, Rio is still pretty good.

I believe that Bling Midge evolved from Andy Kim's Yong Special:

http://www.flytierspage.com/jgordon/yong_special.htm

Then San Juan guide, Jude Duran, added Pearl Krystal Flash to the pattern for his Flash Thread Midge:

http://www.flytierspage.com/jduran/flash_thread_midge.htm

Steve Parrot, from Blue Quill Anglers, was the first to use micro pearl flashabou on his Medallion Midge (Steve's Midge):

http://evergreentrout.org/Flies/StevesMidge.htm

They all work;

hUJMISj.jpg

S15wiVF.jpg

PT/TB