Fly Tying

Wooly buggers are probably one of the most popular and versatile streamer patterns ever tied. They are effective on such a wide variety of fish, from freshwater to even saltwater, warm water to cold water. Almost every fly fisherman has a few wooly buggers in their box. The Crystal Bugger is a variant of the wooly bugger, and it is a bit more flashy. It uses a flashy type chenille to attract fish in more dirty water.

Here is a list of materials I used on the fly
Hook: Dai-Riki 700 size 8
Thread: Veevus Power Thread 140 in white
Tail: White Bugger Marabou
Tail Flash: Pearl Crystal Flash
Wire: Silver UTC Ultra Wire in Small
Hook Wrap: Pearl Estaz
Feather: Grizzly Hackle

My stepson swears by these as on of his staple flies for salmon fishing in Maine. He doesn't use the wire though, so palmers the feather forward from the rear. He's been fishing those for going on 20 years now I guess.

My stepson swears by these as on of his staple flies for salmon fishing in Maine. He doesn't use the wire though, so palmers the feather forward from the rear. He's been fishing those for going on 20 years now I guess.

Yeah, its quicker to tie the non wire version. Ive always tied the wire version though, just habbit. Somehow I feel the wire is more durable, but I could be wrong. Either way, both very effective Flies.

Yeah, its quicker to tie the non wire version. Ive always tied the wire version though, just habbit. Somehow I feel the wire is more durable, but I could be wrong. Either way, both very effective Flies.

My experience is that with palmered hackle it's less likely to get the stem binked and the feather unravel if it's held down by wire. But Scott just doesn't tie them that way . I'm about 50/50 on to use wire or not on my buggers, I don't tie the Crystal bugger at all though.

Hmmm, I just realized I've lost my peacock herl, dang that was a nice batch !!

My experience is that with palmered hackle it's less likely to get the stem binked and the feather unravel if it's held down by wire. But Scott just doesn't tie them that way . I'm about 50/50 on to use wire or not on my buggers, I don't tie the Crystal bugger at all though.

I agree 100%

Sorry about the hurl, that stuff is valuable now! I hear peacock went on endangered list

I agree 100%

Sorry about the hurl, that stuff is valuable now! I hear peacock went on endangered list

;) Dang nabbit. I never killed more than I could eat. Same with elephants and blackfooted ferrets. What is my world coming to? ;)

That's the green peafowl. Listed in 2012 as an endangered species. The Indian peafowl ( the blue ones most common as livestock and used for feathers) are rated at least concern.

That's the green peafowl. Listed in 2012 as an endangered species. The Indian peafowl ( the blue ones most common as livestock and used for feathers) are rated at least concern.

Im 2017 peacock went on endangered list... at least from the part of the world we get then in. We can farm them, but I think that requires more food than its worth in cost of feathers. I think its illegal to harvest them naturally now, we have to farm, which will make the prices go up.

There are three species of peafowl. Indian, green, and Congo.

Listed as least concern, endangered, and vulnerable respectively by the IUCN.

The peafowl we tiers use is the Indian or blue peafowl. It is far from endangered, and is actually instroduced and established in places all over the world.

There are three species of peafowl. Indian, green, and Congo.

Listed as least concern, endangered, and vulnerable respectively by the IUCN.

The peafowl we tiers use is the Indian or blue peafowl. It is far from endangered, and is actually instroduced and established in places all over the world.

Fisherboy, do you know the status of the green and congo peafowl?

If I can't use Peacock I must quit tying. And this I am not joking about, unlike the above....

from IUCN http://www.iucnredlist.org/search

Afropavo congensis (Congo Peafowl)
Pop. trend: decreasing

Pavo cristatus (Indian Peafowl) as said above this is the one we use and it is fairly common as livestock
Pop. trend: stable

Pavo muticus (Green Peafowl)
Pop. trend: decreasing

read more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peafowl

Pea fowl are almost as nasty as geese, as tame as Muscovys, like to roost on top of the house and make terrible screeching that can be irritating a half mile away. That huge train is shed/molted once a year and the feathers can be picked off the ground, I got a lifetime supply many years ago when the neighbor kept a flock

tjm, mucho gracias senor, thought I was having a nightmare for a minute.

Hey, Y'all how about them Cowboy's?

I mean: McFly Lures, nice Tying and Great Share! Merry Christmas fron the Frozen North...... Carry On!!!

tjm, mucho gracias senor, thought I was having a nightmare for a minute.

Hey, Y'all how about them Cowboy's?

I mean: McFly Lures, nice Tying and Great Share! Merry Christmas fron the Frozen North...... Carry On!!!

Didnt mean to scare everyone, my boss was talking about it the other day. My mistake, Ill tell him he was wrong. Haha