Fly Tying
JspFishing

Bobbin Review

I've long been temped to buy a RiteBobbin, thanks for sharing your review!

My mainstay has been the Umpqua Ergonomic bobbins, simple and they fit my hands perfect, but they have a tenancy to do the dreaded bobbin squeak. Now it doesn't bother me much, but my significant other can't stand the sound. She likes to hang out in the office and work on her stuff while I tie. One night she had enough of the squeak and said "What can I buy you to make that not happen!?". I showed her the C&F bobbins and one showed up in the mail two days later! Excellent tension and thread flows like dream!

...On another note does anyone know how to make a vise squeak? I've got my eyes on a Renzetti Master!

I have a bobbin with brass bearings that squeaks sometime, dubbing wax works for about a season, just a very thin coat wiped on the bearings.

I've long been temped to buy a RiteBobbin, thanks for sharing your review!

My mainstay has been the Umpqua Ergonomic bobbins, simple and they fit my hands perfect, but they have a tenancy to do the dreaded bobbin squeak. Now it doesn't bother me much, but my significant other can't stand the sound. She likes to hang out in the office and work on her stuff while I tie. One night she had enough of the squeak and said "What can I buy you to make that not happen!?". I showed her the C&F bobbins and one showed up in the mail two days later! Excellent tension and thread flows like dream!

...On another note does anyone know how to make a vise squeak? I've got my eyes on a Renzetti Master!

Excellent play my man. I do like C&F bobbins and my wife got me the standard and the midge as a gift.

I have several bobbins ranging from inexpensive to "It cost how much!" I have a few Tiemco that tend squeak. When they start I just remove the spool and rub the bobbin against the crease in my nose. Takes care of it for awhile.

But my new favorite is the Eckich my wife got me for Christmas. I need to get a few more.

I just got a standard Rite bobbin in the mail today! I am looking forward to the weekend to try it out!

My three get used regularly. Made some DIY revisions to help spin them more smoothly and easier to change out thread spools. They are well made tools....have fun

I really like my two Nor-Vsie bobbins. They are slender and light in hand and the ceramic tube lays the tread exactly where you want it. But, it is the thread tensioner with auto-reverse that makes this bobbin so unique and useful. It is not designed specifically for the Nor-Vise system and can be used with any vise.

I ordered the Rite "standard bobbin" about a month ago, and have used it for everything since. I love it - so much easier to use for whip finishing and using delicate threads for small flies. When I have some more play money, I plan on ordering a second... which says a lot. I usually save and spend on hackle capes!