Fly Tying

Giant poppers...

Checking in a container of water real cork floats a tiny bit higher. I think they would sand down pretty good. Haven't tried it myself.

May have to for some smaller fun size to throw.

One thing for sure is there won't be any voids as cork might have and I think they would stand up well against toothy critters.

The wine corks were tad large for me(12ga) so instead of sanding whatever I used the foam (2 pieces glued together 20ga size). I was surprised how easy the foam was to shape and "sand". After the coats of Solarez they seem pretty solid.... Did I mention the resin with the powder glitter is really easy for a jazzy finish; durability to be determined I guess. They feel as hard as the corks....

Durability shouldn't be a problem unless you're feeding them to bluefish, then all bets are off. I think it also depends on the softness of the foam. Once I received a really nice foam hula popper done on a single hook in a swap, as I was looking at it I squeezed it and the epoxy covering it cracked. I took a lesson from it and now just use two light coats of the UV resin on all my popper bodies, enough to cover the eyes. I just started using the double barrel popper bodies, the texture and feel remind me of certain foam ear plugs. I think I'm going to order one of the flexible UV resins to use on them.

Heavynets,

That is pretty cool.

I have to ask about the CAD software. Don’t tell me you are making those contours in SketchUp...

I use Fusion 360; it's free. I posted a simple version of the popper (no leg hole or flats for eyes) on Thingiverse. You can download the .stl file there. Print it yourself or have it printed by Shapeways for about $2.50 or by someone local by using 3dHubs.com for probably a whole lot less.

Thanks. I do have access to a couple of 3D printers, so I just might have to try it. Pretty sure I have PLA in yellow and silver.

Everybody in this thread is making me get the itch for poppers again.

This foam is not that soft.....Solarez pretty thick on em won't take a hammer blow but not breaking with a hard squeeze...I tried to cut it with the sg hull but had to just use it to mark it. I trued them up with a tiger wheel on a 4" grinder....Didnt try to reduce the wine corks....

IMG_2363.jpg

Hurry spring! No telling what else cabin fever is going to produce before the spring thaw.

I would need to go to the gym for a couple weeks before even trying throw that thing flytire.

But it is purdy...purdy big!

Moving along....utility corks are easy sliders....been wrapping flash collars around the corks....sportsfans....

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2531.png

Well, finished/tailed that last biggest cork popper. May never use it. Got me very modest 12wt coming to maybe cast this stuff. Need to move to some "cockroaches" and "poon" flies next. Taking suggestions. We gonna go back to Ft Lauderdale my Bday, last of April. Feb. usually when I stocked fly boxes anyway. Got lil jump this year. What's a rainbow trout?

Sprayed it gold wrapped some wide flash around, paint drop eye, sprinkle flash, copper, Solarez few coats

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg