Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Nymphing Baitfish - Small Fry

This fly is one I created to nymph for trout at my local river after the hatch. On the Animas, the rainbow trout and brown trout eggs start hatching, and there are tons of little fry that become food for the larger trout. I used to nymph a white rabbit leech for them, but I wanted to create a more realistic baitfish profile to catch them with.

Being completely coated with UV resin, this fly will be very durable, and able to withstand many fish strikes from toothy brown trout. Also, I find this fly to not be too difficult to tie.

Materials I used on this fly.
Hook: Umqua U301 in size 12
Weight: .015 lead wire
Thread: Veevus 16/0 in olive
Tail: Marabou in Olive
Body Wrap: Tinsel Twist in Olive and Red
Back: Peacock Hurl
Belly: Pearl Crystal Flash
Eyes: 2mm 3D eyes
1st Coat Resin - Solarez "Thin Hard" Formula
2nd Coat Resin - Solarez "Bone Dry" Formula

Looks a lot like a Myakka Minnow.

Very similar yeah! Wow, I haven't ever seen this before. Of course its a bit different, it has a pearl belly and all that, but it is very similar. Man, nothing new under the sun huh? I thought I created a brand new fly... Oh well...

I tied up half a dozen of these last night to try for crappie. One of my new favorite ties!

Thanks! Yeah I like them, I didnt even think about a crappie fly, I was thinking nymphing for trout. Haha! Good thoughts! Im gonna have to try it for crappie. Tell me how it does for the panfish!

Thanks McFly. Good adds the peacock back, red flash throat, and flash belly.... tried some...

IMG_2805.png

Gotta get some silver body...black tail/ silver body would be nice too. A black stripe down the sides of a few too.

Thanks McFly. Good adds the peacock back, red flash throat, and flash belly.... tried some...

IMG_2805.png

Gotta get some silver body...black tail/ silver body would be nice too. A black stripe down the sides of a few too.

Glad you liked it. I like the gold color body you used as well. Looks awesome! Did you use the same hook wrap? Stuff from FTD? Or did you use another one? If a different one, please tell me which, I would love to see how it compares in this pattern for you.

I really like the eyes you use. What size are they? If they are 2mm or smaller, please tell me where you get them. The only 2mm eyes I could find are the cheapo ones you get in bulk from china on eBay. LOL They work fine on this since its such a small pattern, but having a more colorful eye like yours is very nice.

The body is flash braid prolly from fly shop. The eyes are 7/32" stick on WTP lurer section not fly section at BassPro, cheaper. The lower fly has "paint drop eye". The tail is lil ostrich.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/wtp-3d-molded-eyes

Not seeing picture but best price $.10+\- for 36/40 and 4 sizes

Thanks man! Awesome! I wish I had a bass pro by my house! Love that place! Haha

Only place for tying stuff for me and 70 mi away...and bad about not restocking in timely manner. If you just gotta then order from flycraft, etc. Hobby shops helps on some substitutes....

Those eyes biggest is 7/32" so for bigger gotta go to tying section...

And looks like running low....

IMG_2809.jpg

Since no have silver/ pearl braid I put layer of white floss and wrapped pearl flash strip to create it. You can get away with using fragile stuff if in the end it's coated with the resin....

IMG_2816.png

IMG_2821.png

It reminds me of Tony Spezio's Epoxy Minnow. I've got one he sent me years ago upstairs in a storage box for original flies folks have sent. I'll take a picture of it and post it. His were a lot larger intended for bass and trout in the White River. The tail in his pattern was from a white synthetic dust mop. I've never tied them in a size 12. Certainly would solve problem of tying fry. Nice job with it.

It reminds me of Tony Spezio's Epoxy Minnow. I've got one he sent me years ago upstairs in a storage box for original flies folks have sent. I'll take a picture of it and post it. His were a lot larger intended for bass and trout in the White River. The tail in his pattern was from a white synthetic dust mop. I've never tied them in a size 12. Certainly would solve problem of tying fry. Nice job with it.

Thank you! Yeah there are a few patterns im realizing are close. Lol.