Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyrod04

Hook Size for false albie flies

hey every one!

I am looking for some help, i have never fished for false albies, but i am heading to the gulf to fish for them the first week of march, and i am tying flies like crazy for them, but all more flies are on 1/0 sc15 hooks, and i tied some clousers on 2/0 hooks, ( typical striper flies).

should I tie some smaller flies too?

what are some Go To flies for the gulf? I am from Maine so its a totally different dynamic.

Have you checked with a fly shop in the area you'll be fishing? The "gulf" is a big area and the patterns may vary from Florida to Texas. I would imagine that you could use the same patterns down there as up in Maine, minus sand eels. Or what we use along the south Jersey coast. Surf Candies, Peanut bunker patterns, clousers are popular flies for false albacore. I'd tie up some smaller flies. On some of the southern salt water boards, you hear the term "white bait" I think it's the south's version of "rain bait" Figure flies about 2 inches long. Surf candies or clousers should work for them. You should be able to tie them on a 1/0 SC15, if not a size 1 would work.

flyrod 4 Bay anchovies. Candies sz 2& 4. Lot's of patterns out there for this bait fish. Thought u might enjoy the video. Albies in the gulf. Question is will they be there when go ? Albie whore is a good overall fly regardless of bait.

.https://vimeo.com/71295782

flyrod 4 Bay anchovies. Candies sz 2& 4. Lot's of patterns out there for this bait fish. Thought u might enjoy the video. Albies in the gulf. Question is will they be there when go ? Albie whore is a good overall fly regardless of bait.

.https://vimeo.com/71295782

Mogup.... you have made it very difficult for me to get any sort of work done today... all i want to do is tie flies and dream of small tuna.....

thanks!

You're welcome. Any chance of Reds being in the picture. If so I'd bring some flies along for them as well.

yes, i think there maybe... I have 4 days to fish in the morning, then i have a guide for the bonito and jacks one day. so i am thinking i maybe able to find fish from the beach? reds and snook?

You're welcome. Any chance of Reds being in the picture. If so I'd bring some flies along for them as well.