Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Eleven Mile Canyon - Snow!

This had to be one of the prettiest places I have been to in a long time, if not ever. What a beautiful little canyon, and so close to a major metropolis city. Only an hour from Colorado Springs, and about 1.5 hours from Denver. This Eleven Mile Canyon is really a great fishery, and a beautiful place to camp and fish.

Even though I didnt actually net any fish, I did hook 4 during very foul weather. I am not sure why I lost all those fish mid fight, maybe I did something wrong, I am not sure. All I know is that there were fish everywhere, but they were very picky. I probably was using the wrong flies, or wrong presentation. Maybe both! But, next time I go, I will make sure and get more info about the river, and hopefully get some fish in the net.

Sometimes when I keep dropping fish like that I find it's about the rod action. A Mod action with a good forgiving tip section as well often has made the day. I have no idea about the action of your rod but if it's fairly fast that isn't so hot for nymphing midges in my experience. And smaller fish can shake themselves off by vibrating against an unforgiving rod blank. I've done a ton of midge fishing and that is just my observation and experience with my own gear.Just sayin.

And you're right that's beautiful country ! But my days of fishing in snow and cold are long gone LOL !

McFly,

You should have dropped me a note. 11 mile is about 1,30 from home. I know it like the back of my hand. It's a beautiful, productive fishery. A red tungsten bead size 22/24 rainbow warrior is death at 11 mile. The water is almost always gin clear. It's one of the most picturesque river sections in the state I believe. Next time you're in the neighborhood lemme know. Did you fish right above "the Tubes"? that's what we call where the culverts under the road are. I know each spot you filmed. BTW, the river is the South Platte. The section is 11 Mile Canyon.

Sandan

[edit] nice vid![/edit]

that place is on my bucket list.

some day I am going to try and get there, that scenery alone is awesome!

if I had the $, I would be on my way now.

great video as always!

Sometimes when I keep dropping fish like that I find it's about the rod action. A Mod action with a good forgiving tip section as well often has made the day. I have no idea about the action of your rod but if it's fairly fast that isn't so hot for nymphing midges in my experience. And smaller fish can shake themselves off by vibrating against an unforgiving rod blank. I've done a ton of midge fishing and that is just my observation and experience with my own gear.Just sayin.

And you're right that's beautiful country ! But my days of fishing in snow and cold are long gone LOL !

I agree, rod action had to do with it.

However I think it was the opposite of this. It was a 10' 3wt. Which being 10' and a 3wt, it takes a bit more of a hook set to get into any pressure. The only flies they hit were larger hooked flies. The patts rubber legs I had bought at the shop, and it was tied on a not so sharp hook and on a size 12. The streamer was tied on a large size 8 hook. Both had a medium sized wire, so required a bit more penetration. I think what happened is that I had set the hook, and being such a limp rod, it didnt get fully penetrated into the fish. and therefor they could shake it off. I brought that rod thinking I would nymph the whole time with small flies. Its the rod I use on the San Juan when fishing size 24-28 hooks. When I switched to larger flies later in the day, I didnt change rods out (out of laziness) and now I wish I did switch to my 9' 5wt.

McFly,

You should have dropped me a note. 11 mile is about 1,30 from home. I know it like the back of my hand. It's a beautiful, productive fishery. A red tungsten bead size 22/24 rainbow warrior is death at 11 mile. The water is almost always gin clear. It's one of the most picturesque river sections in the state I believe. Next time you're in the neighborhood lemme know. Did you fish right above "the Tubes"? that's what we call where the culverts under the road are. I know each spot you filmed. BTW, the river is the South Platte. The section is 11 Mile Canyon.

Sandan

[edit] nice vid![/edit]

Honestly, I thought the whole time I was going to fish Wednesday. Her work called her when we got into town on Monday, and said they didnt want her to come Monday, but to come Wednesday (along with Tuesday). So I had to rush, and start heading out as soon as I could to get any fishing in. Which meant no time to jump online and ask who wants to come show me their local river. Thats why I didnt arrive till 11:00 or so. There are a few people I wanted to fish with actually, but the plans of mice and men right? LOL I really wish I had someone to help me out though on this new river for me. It always helps to get the advice and help of a local! :)

that place is on my bucket list.

some day I am going to try and get there, that scenery alone is awesome!

if I had the $, I would be on my way now.

great video as always!

I hear ya. Its a great river honestly, and unfortunately I didnt do it justice. Its prettier than I showed (hard to see the views in the heavy snow). And also, I didnt land any fish. The fish I did see, that I hooked. They were amazingly beautiful! Like super colorful little rainbows or even cut bows possibly. Bright pink cheeks, dark green backs, pronounced spots. Just absolutely beautiful and feighsty fish.

McFly,

Sandan

[edit] nice vid![/edit]

Honestly, I thought the whole time I was going to fish Wednesday. Her work called her when we got into town on Monday, and said they didnt want her to come Monday, but to come Wednesday (along with Tuesday). So I had to rush, and start heading out as soon as I could to get any fishing in. Which meant no time to jump online and ask who wants to come show me their local river. Thats why I didnt arrive till 11:00 or so. There are a few people I wanted to fish with actually, but the plans of mice and men right? LOL I really wish I had someone to help me out though on this new river for me. It always helps to get the advice and help of a local! smile.png

Next time brother. Browns, bows, cutts and cuttbows are all there. As Pat Dorsey say's the fish in 11 Mile,"are strong as an ox."

I agree, rod action had to do with it.

I brought that rod thinking I would nymph the whole time with small flies. Its the rod I use on the San Juan when fishing size 24-28 hooks. When I switched to larger flies later in the day, I didnt change rods out (out of laziness) and now I wish I did switch to my 9' 5wt.

I keep a hook sharpening stone in my fishing vest. Sounds like you needed one too. Next time you find yourself stuck with the lighter rod and larger flies try a double hook set. So the main hook set as you did then a quick pop of a second hook set, that should get em.

I fish size 14- 12 wets and 10- 8 streamers and muddlers with a 3/4 mod/fast rod in streams up north but it's only a 7 ft rod. I'm building a 3/4 10 ft rod this spring actually, also Mod/ Fast.