Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

11 2/3 nymph rod

Hi Steve..lately you have built several nymphing rods and that led to me wondering what advantage these nymphing rods have over a 12' tankara rod which would be much lighter and easier to hold higher..yes you can play a larger fish with a reel of line but how many trout do you hook into over 3 or 4# in a season..thanks.

Honestly Ben that's really a hard question to give an answer for. While both are using a fly, they are both very different ways to accomplish presenting it to the fish. Kind of like comparing bow to rifle hunting, bit are hunting but they are two different means to archive success and each has pros & cons.

With traditional rods like this you have the ability to strip out line and reach further distance/fish without having to move your feet, you have the ability to play a fish on a drag, and it's just that some guys don't care for tenkara. With tenkara you have the ability to play a fish without dealing with a reel & line, you can pick up and reset the drift in an instant, and cover the exact distance numerous times at ease.

Both have their good points that make them nice to the angler.

Does this make sense to any one but me...pole fishing = tenkara = mono rigging = nymphing = pole fishing..lol..it,s taken centuries but fishing has gone around a full circle..only the names have been changed to protect the profits..lol.

Not sure what you mean to be honest. You lost me with where you were going there with that one. This rod above is using a 2-3wt floating fly line just like any other fly rod, so it's not using a mono line set up. It can fish dries just as easily as nymphs but with the long length it helps keep a nymph dead drifted better than a normal 8-9ft rod so hence why most guys call them nymph rods.

ok Steve..i stand corrected..it just seemed like you had a sudden call for nymphing rods and with the new mono rigging i tried to put 2 and 2 together but came up with 5..lol..no big deal..Thanks.

I ran a special on the 10-11ft rods recently and got a ton of orders for them so that's why there's so many of them. Still have 9 more to build this week lol.

you build 9 rods in a week and it takes me almost 9 weeks to build one rod but i have understanding customers, just me..lol.

Definitely ... subtle. Great rod for those who like to present a natural appearance to the fish ... keep from spooking them.

One day, I'm gonna order one of those. Light line, long rod, cast out a small Bluegill Fly ... reach out and touch some big dinner plates and play them like tarpon !!!

But mine will be a LOT more blingy than this one.