Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

As if I needed another expensive hobby, I've started getting into wood working. No lathe yet but I want one!

I was asked to make some Biscuit Cutters.  I have a couple of Bat Blanks I could use that are the perfect size to make 2 1/2 Biscuits.

thumbnail-67.thumb.jpeg.16ecc3ee02dbb89af31d0ed3718c4aef.jpeg

thumbnail-77.thumb.jpeg.697d838cbae0da0026c11b74dae7c630.jpeg

Michael

Where did you get the bat blanks? FWIW, anytime you are in the Louisville, KY area, it is well worth the trip to Hillerich & Bradsbury plant where they make the Louisville Slugger bats. If you order a bat, do it before the tour so it will be ready or at least minimal waiting time. They have a museum with all kinds of bats. Plus you can get a photo with a bat used by a major league star. Mine were Mickey Mantle and Ronald Acuna, Jr.

All bats are made by CNC equipment but there is a fellow who turns a bat on a lathe like the olden days.

5 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Where did you get the bat blanks? FWIW, anytime you are in the Louisville, KY area, it is well worth the trip to Hillerich & Bradsbury plant where they make the Louisville Slugger bats. If you order a bat, do it before the tour so it will be ready or at least minimal waiting time. They have a museum with all kinds of bats. Plus you can get a photo with a bat used by a major league star. Mine were Mickey Mantle and Ronald Acuna, Jr.

All bats are made by CNC equipment but there is a fellow who turns a bat on a lathe like the olden days.

I think it wood be a great trip (pun intended).  We have a couple bat companies with in a drive here in Maine.  One of them, sometimes will have Birdseye and Curly Maple.  I've even heard tell of the occasional Flaming Birch.  These came to me in the form of a trade for time vs. stock.  I thought it was a great trade as did the other involved.  I tried to convince him that we had agreed to throw in a few hundred feet of Yellow Heart.  He didn't remember that part of the conversation.  However he did throw in approx. 20sq/ft of Brazilian Cherry flooring.

Michael

6 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nice work. And that looks like more than a "couple" 😁

They are 37" in length, I only need 4.25" to make one and there are 200 in the rack....  I'm too tired to do the math.  These will give something to do for a while.

Michael

10 hours ago, petelangevin said:

37 / 4.25 = 8.7 per blank  

Ah yes... however are you taking into account the blade kerf of .106"? 

😀

Michael

8 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Ah yes... however are you taking into account the blade kerf of .106"? 

😀

Michael

🤣

Very nice, Michael.  Did you cut the heart shape first, then spin the bowl, or vice versa?

Meant to comment on this earlier, very nice craftsmanship, especially like the alternate grain on the mid section.  

Thank you Mikechell, 

I did cut the blank before I turned it. I was trying something different to get the winged look and figured it would be easier to cut first and ask questions later.

Niveker, 

Thank you for the compliment. I originally did that to keep the strength, however a lot of people have commented on it for its beauty.

Pretty cool. Seems like alot of 'eyeballing' going on as he builds those layers.  Amazing.