Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Am I the only one that finds it peculiar that this young man has his lathe in a bomb shelter? Is that to protect the neighborhood for when things go wrong?

Michael

I know it's bolted to the wood on the bottom of that bowl...but still, standing that close to that giant bowl spinning that fast would scare the hell outta me ūüė¨

10 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Am I the only one that finds it peculiar that this young man has his lathe in a bomb shelter? Is that to protect the neighborhood for when things go wrong?

Michael

Mutes the bad words.

13 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Michael

No self respecting bomb shelter would be made of cinder block. That a run of the mill basement. 

Started my next tri-corner bowl. At just shy of 16", this is the largest diameter bowl I will have attempted.  This is what it looks like at 600rpm.20210430_195800.thumb.jpg.0389cf6fa5bad22fe040b17724388952.jpg

I've not tried anything that large, yet.  I'm finally getting comfortable with small stuff, so a larger bowl is coming.  BUT, I won't be working near flying corners anytime soon.  I'll stick with round things.

That looks wickedly dangerous!  I know it can be done, but I am no where near confident enough to approach something that large with those edges.

I like your wood choices, though.  Gonna be a beautiful piece ... if it stays in one piece!

With the tool rest in place, it sounds just like the prop on an airboat.  Kinda cool and has an enormous pucker factor.

Michael

Here's one I turned from spalted birch. The bear seems happy in it. It's 20 inches in diameter.

DSCF5896-X2.jpg

Mark,

WOW!!!  I really mean to say WOW!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous.

20" is huge.  Did you do it on the outboard or are you able to get that inside the centers?

Michael

38 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

Mark,

WOW!!!  I really mean to say WOW!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous.

20" is huge.  Did you do it on the outboard or are you able to get that inside the centers?

Michael

This one was done on the outboard. I can only swing 16 inches over the ways. My lathe is a heavy cast iron 16 X 72 from 1945. A war machine. It's converted from a line-shaft model to a self contained one. It doesn't shimmy much when turning big stuff.

That wood is beautiful, Mark.  Nice work on the bowl.

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

That wood is beautiful, Mark.  Nice work on the bowl.

Thanks Bud.