Fly Tying
vicrider

Had weird knock on door...

I was in my tying room and dogs go crazy at door. Come out and there's some young guy about 12-13 or so. First thing I'm thinking is I gotta buy some candy or candles or cookies for some good school or club cause or another. Turns out he asks an unusual question that took me off guard. He asked if he could have a bottle of water for him and his brother who are getting really thirsty down by the pond fishing. It was one of those early 80 degree days we're not used to yet and could understand their thirst. Got to talking to him and there is a little pond on some farmland a few blocks from our house. It's a shallow pond fed by a couple of creeks that go dry and it goes dry in bad years like a few years ago. When water's up like last year some fish migrate to it from three small creeks that merge there and they catch bullheads, catfish at times, and gar and carp.

We don't use bottled water but have one of those office type coolers with 5 gallon bottles. Way cheaper than bottled and if you saw the scum that our tap water leaves on coffee, especially the second cup, you'd understand the reason for the water. I asked him how he happened to stop here for drinks. He said his grandpa's friend wasn't home and he saw three boats in my backyard and took a chance I'd help a fisherman. Good call. I told him we don't have water but I do have cold cans of Fresca, Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper and he's welcome to a couple. He took the Pepper, said thanks and went on his way. I was very happy to see that kids like him will still walk to a farm pond to do some fishing instead of just playing Nintendo or whatever they do today.

That's a feel good story right there!I love the fact that younger kids are getting more into fishing these days and that he was look out for his brother.

He picked the right house. See what staying away from video games gets you, common sense.

Couldn't agree more!

Good to help out those boys. Did you, by any chance, try and wet a line that particular place. It would be worth a couple of bucks or a Happy Meal to pay for their guide service.

Been gone for a long time and back here with an interest in tying and flinging fur and feathers, especially for carp.

Not half so weird as the delivery guy that tried to deliver two very large cases of sanitary pants to me the other day! He was adamant the hospital had ordered them for me. I was equally adamant they hadn't. Ended up he had the wrong name, wrong house number, wrong street and even the wrong village. I thought I must have slipped through into an alternate reality.

Cheers,

C,