Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From The Vise

I need more time tying with tinsel to obtain great results like you other tyers.

tie in the tinsel behind the hook eye and wrap in touching turns to the bend then wrap the tinsel back to the hook eye in touching turns. this will eliminate gaps and the thread underbody from showing through

Right......I tied it in behind the hook eye, but thread wrapped it on top of the shank down to the bend to create a smooth surface for the final wrap.

When I completed the bodies the wraps were tight together, but slipped a bit once I finished the fly. Your tip will solve it no matter what the tinsel width is. Thanks.

Tied these yarn flies today, they're just sz14 and sz18 beaded nymph hooks with a tapered dubbing body.....some had red, some had ginger and then I used some of the Mrs scrap yarn (Angora / wool blend) as ribbing trying to leave a little space here and there for the dubbing to show through. The second picture shows what they look like after dunking it in water. Thanks for looking.

20180422_163737_zpsjn4xuils.jpg

20180422_150932_zpspl7w6noc.jpg

31093538_10216924394088987_4638101012190

Wow

Retro, I love your variety of great tying.

Thanks David appreciated :)

Here is one that I haven't tied in a while.

Black Nose Dace on an old Mustad 38941 Sproat hook size 4.

I need more time tying with tinsel to obtain great results like you other tyers.

A classic fly ....nice tie :)

Nice! Too bad golden plover is so hard to get.

Yes, was on a waiting list for it for quite a while

Where did you buy it? Cookshill? I there is one on eBay for $90, no waiting time.

By the way, I tried tying in hand like you suggested. It was a challenge at times, mainly the hackle, but I found it very enjoyable.

Cookshill, yes :)

Glad you liked it! I think it is a great way of getting to know the material and look at a fly from a different angle

Another one of my favorites from Tom McQuade - McFlea

mcqmcflea.gif

Kimo

That is cool! Funny, thats my last name. Who is Tom? So weird, his last name is spelled just like mine! I wonder if Im related.

Thx Vincent...didnt you end up with one of those in our swaps weve been in? Go look at the Warm Water Vice thread I posted some more of them with a little explanation.

7_ACE119_B_01_B5_4283_ACA0_6_F2327_C1334