Fly Tying
Mike West

Warm Water “Top to Bottom” Swap

Lol zip. With all the talent in this swap..it would be unfortunate for you to get more of my haphazard attempts at flies.

Give yourself some credit bro!Spinning deer hair is something that a lot of pros have trouble with,especially on smaller hooks!

I'm in this sounds interesting. I need some others ideas for warm water fishing. Thanks for hosting

I'm excited about this swap!I'm going all out for this one!

Alright,Mike-My brother gave me an airbrush and I've got a bunch of pre made popper bodies an route...any tips?!

Okay, okay, I'll do it. Top, middle and bottom. Half sized for the bait and half sized for the fish that eat the bait. That about right? No tags needed unless you bring enough for everybody and deer hair is not mandatory on anything we tie? I have had a little luck with getting a head on a Muddler and IMO the Muddler is a top water. Up in northern MN it was pretty much all I fished in the evening in the summer on the stocked trout lakes up there. Smaller sizes right out of Dan Gapen's packaging and the trout thought it was something good to eat. Maybe a moth? Whatever, it worked for me and put trout in the pan regularly. I've also tied a couple of dragon/damsel fly versions that I think could tempt a bass, or, if you saw the utube video, huge browns going nuts to eat them on the water and out of the air. Never had a trout do it but I have had a couple of bass meet my popper on the way to the water. Makes the heart jump. That and trying to twitch it loose from a cattail when the water explodes. Not for the faint of heart.

Okay, was debating about this one but the new 8wt setup I got and vics visualizations put me in.

The 4 flies should for each category should be different right? I was thinking 2 sets of 2 for each might be good? Thoughts...

top water

AD8vl3i.jpg

bottom bouncing

hc4Cxmg.jpg

waiting for shipment of materials for minnow/baitfish

I was going to try to take a break from swaps with the weather improving... but this one is too tempting. Count me in!

Okay guys...this was my first attempt at what I would call "Mike West style" poppers.Also first time ever using an airbrush.Im pretty pleased and I hope the person fishing these is too!That frog is a 4/0 and the others are a 4 and 8.Still gotta hard coat,add eyes etc...

post-3092-0-15700400-1524199370_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-26076000-1524199386_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-62103100-1524199424_thumb.jpg

Zip, those look good!

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone knocks out for this one. Did all my tying prep last night!