Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 7wt 3pc

... last 100 mercury years ...

LOL ... near 24 Earth years. But when it comes to Birthdays ... I'll stick with Mars Years.

I tried threadmaster and really liked it mainly because it worked like flex coat but cured a little harder than flex coat so probably resisted scratching a little better..but when i ran out i still had some flex coat left and went back to it..now i use the one part finishes and use epoxy on heavier rods that get beaten..yes, i can see liking threadmaster.

Dave, i can,t let you knock Flex Coat..lol. i,ve been using it for the last 100 mercury years and never got a bad mix because i always used syringes and 3cc. per each part and the glues can easily be just eyeballed..if you don,t use syringes, i don,t think it matters what brand of finishing epoxy you use, you open yourself to mistakes..

Flexcoat is good stuff, I still have some of the old formula Flexcoat around here Ben and use other brands as well.. .But I still think if a guy ( whomever) has trouble getting JB Weld to kick then he might want to forget Flexcoat all together if he ever wants to build a fly rod.

lol, Mike..so you can,t have enough birthdays but i prefer them to be lots of earth years not mars years of an equal number.lol..i guess that makes sense..lol.

ha, any rods I build will get spar varnish.

The JB thing is not in mixing, it is time and more time and pretty dreckly I'll get wound up and bust it off and do it over with something that works today. If I wanted to wait I'd mail order a new part. I do better with Bondini. or adhesive caulk...or bondo

Since we're talking about it, do you apply JB as adhesive or as a bandaid? Does humidity affect the set time?

I have got it to hold somewhat when piled on in scab fashion. Sometimes runs though. I forget how/when/where I last tried it, but I know there are a couple packs of it in the shed.

ha, any rods I build will get spar varnish.

The JB thing is not in mixing, it is time and more time and pretty dreckly I'll get wound up and bust it off and do it over with something that works today. If I wanted to wait I'd mail order a new part. I do better with Bondini. or adhesive caulk...or bondo

Since we're talking about it, do you apply JB as adhesive or as a bandaid? Does humidity affect the set time?

I have got it to hold somewhat when piled on in scab fashion. Sometimes runs though. I forget how/when/where I last tried it, but I know there are a couple packs of it in the shed.

i actually know someone who still uses spar varnish in his graphite blank rod building. It does impart it's own look and if that look is something you like so be it.

I don't know what happened to your JB Weld, maybe it froze out in the shed or something and that screwed it up.. I just don't have any trouble with it how ever I use it.

Rod Case,

PVC mailing tube from Steve converted into artwork LOL.

padded the end caps, adjustable rope sling, made a rod sock (old curtains).

yeah, what to do with old stickers?

post-61737-0-60675300-1525017233_thumb.jpg

post-61737-0-68844000-1525017595_thumb.jpg

Rod tubes have become to tool box of gearheads lol. The inside lid of our tool boxes back in the day use to catch all the stickers that came with go fast parts. Now our rod tubes do, I've got a 6ft x 5" tube that probably has about 40 stickers on it as well :)

its been a tough couple weeks, I don't mean to make this sound like a fishing report, but we have had 20-30 mph

winds and way below normal temps on and off for 2-3 weeks.

so the new rod didn't see any action.

the water temps are finally getting there and there was little wind this morning so I took the rod for some real fishing.

The bass are starting to bed and are on guard, I don't target spawning fish, I cast out past them.

I managed to get a few sunfish and had 2 nice hits, one made it to the shore.

all were fast CPR and minnow imitations worked the best.

I need to tie up a few more of these, and larger ones too.

Here are the pics.

post-61737-0-53615800-1525716983_thumb.jpg

post-61737-0-29670700-1525716995_thumb.jpg

post-61737-0-27720300-1525717018_thumb.jpg

post-61737-0-89348300-1525717033_thumb.jpg

post-61737-0-31407600-1525717045_thumb.jpg

Very cool Bill I always enjoy seeing pics of fish guys catch on my rods :) we had some of that weather here in Michigan as well. Real late spring this year, finally nice now but it was cold and snowy till about mid April. Then Friday we had winds up to about 70mph in some spots. Been a crazy spring but I think the better weather is finally here for us all now.

its been a tough couple weeks, I don't mean to make this sound like a fishing report, but we have had 20-30 mph

winds and way below normal temps on and off for 2-3 weeks.

so the new rod didn't see any action.

the water temps are finally getting there and there was little wind this morning so I took the rod for some real fishing.

The bass are starting to bed and are on guard, I don't target spawning fish, I cast out past them.

I managed to get a few sunfish and had 2 nice hits, one made it to the shore.

all were fast CPR and minnow imitations worked the best.

I need to tie up a few more of these, and larger ones too.

Here are the pics.

I've been building 4and 5 wt's here lately and haven't been out to fish one of them yet either. The water is probably fine now , last week it was still cool and we had wind from the SW which is usually good here but not at 30mph. Today is only 9-11mph but it's out of the north which sucks where I want to fish at. it looks great here in the back yard but get to the water and north just plain doesn't work unless it's light and variable.

All that said it's just about time to fish from teh boat anyway..

NICE FISH by the way !!

thanks fellers,

you can almost see the dime epoxied to the butt on the first pic.

(I am presently surrounded by congo hair, marabou, H2O flash and crock eye's)

prepping for tomorrow, hope my luck holds.

I seen 3 bass much larger than this one lurking about, my offerings were too small for them to

pay attention to, so am working on 1-3/0 versions.

already cleaned and treated the line.

I LOVE this time of the year!!!!

smile.png