Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Super Hair

Does anyone use Super Hair in their tying of large flies? It is 11 inches long and I bought some years ago and have not used it yet. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

Tied lots of surf candies over the years with super hair and 5 minute epoxy as well as popovic's ultra shrimp. Also used it as a core to stiffen up softer synthetic fibers in salt water streamer patterns.

post-54877-0-29470300-1524438065_thumb.jpg

Like any material, it has its pluses and minuses. I've caught my share of albacore on Super Hair flies, as well as blitzing stripers; it has a nice translucent quality, and it doesn't foul as easily as softer material. It's non-absorbent, so it's easy to cast. It's like anything else: it depends on what you're looking for. The best uses I've found for it are epoxy minnows and eel flies. Also, bluefish flies. (it's very durable) As far as stiffness goes, there are times when stiffer material is exactly what I want. It's been around for decades, and it's still being used, which should tell you something.

Great stuff. Use it all the time for chironomid abdomens, ribs, etc. Can be used as a bucktail substitute and especially useful for toothier critters.

I will retract my previous statement. I had mixed up super hair and supreme hair. Daggum synthetic materials.... bah humbug hahahahaha

Thanks to all who replied. Your comments and patterns were very helpful. The quality of helpful comments is why this website is so effective.

Tom

Does anyone use Super Hair in their tying of large flies? It is 11 inches long and I bought some years ago and have not used it yet. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

Usually tie saltwater Clousers when can find a chartreuse color as lime green has been substituted on most fly fishing store racks, but mostly only about 3 1/2" in length except when tying some deep water long baitfish patterns.