Fly Tying
flytire

ep fibers substitute

Fired up by this thread and the excellent video flytire posted I went out and bought 100yds of white Bonnie Braid macrame cord for $20. Since I have a puppy brush I now have enough white EP fiber to last me 100 years! I figure I'm good for about 10 years, so if anyone wants any of the rest, please let me know.

Most yarns can be undone back to the fiber state. Some become hair like and some make dubbing. I'm gonna google macrame class near me and see if I can get their scraps; I sure don't need no 100 yards of any thing.

I just spent some time at the craft store, now that I read this I might have to go back and check out the macrame cord.

I remember the Aztec. I tied a few and don't remember the fibers tangling, but I do remember landing a pike that got got the fibers tangled in it's teeth and never actually got hooked. That was a nightmare and reminded me of those rope flies with no hooks that guys use for gar.

I got several bunches of macrame and tried the video's procedures. In the process I found some useful tips for those interested.

Hobby Lobby online was the cheapest source around -- nearly half of what some others like Amazon wanted -- and they had most of the standard colors. The more popular colors like white and black only come in larger skeins and cost more than the others.

The video has some good ideas, But through experimentation I found a more efficient way to process the cords. Start with a length of cut off working cord @ 36" long; cut that into two equal sections. Working on one section at a time, pull the individual strands free and stack them, and then knot them together at the halfway point in a tight overhand knot. Comb out the strands working from the tips furthest from the knot relying on the knot as a grip point. You end up with two good size -- @9" or so -- bunches of easily compressable synthetic hair for storage.

Rocco

Guess I should take up the macrame art. Maybe make myself a fishing vest?

I use the craft of macrame to make hanging baskets for Wife's flowers and for some of our bird feeders.

Guess I should take up the macrame art. Maybe make myself a fishing vest?

I use the craft of macrame to make hanging baskets for Wife's flowers and for some of our bird feeders.

LOL, bird feeders? I can't decide if you are being mean to the birds or your cats! That's like putting a ribeye and a good beer on the table and telling me I can't have them! In the mean time the steak is thinking aw jeez every time I eyeball it?! You gonna install a teeter totter with tacks glued to the seat for the neighborhood kids (after all you've expressed how much you love kids!)? Come to think of it, I'm thinking you are a shoe in for a live action Despicable Me movie, a curmudgeon with a soft center . Too funny....

For the newer folks: Tongue very firmly in cheek.

laugh.png We have 12 feeders of various designs on the front yard. We refer to them as the "baited field" for the cats. Fortunately, for the birds, we keep the cats well fed. The cats make plays at the birds and squirrels, but rarely get close enough to catch one.

I LOVE the idea of the swing set with tacks !!! If I can just figure how to do it without being blamed ... !!!

Works good...lots cheaper on big streamers.

Got it at WallyWorld but not by the yarn but on the other aisle by the burlap twine/macrame stuff. I just got big white and color with marker. They had some colors in the small sizes.

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

I think calling out an entire generation in a negative way was a bit uncalled for denduke. Lets keep it on topic. You are welcome to repost the beautiful flies you tied without the negative remarks.

Few lil breamses from the fiber cut offs/leftovers. I.e. The bottom 3. Top right is EP w/rattle, second 2 are craftfur, bottom 3 macrame stuff cut offs.

IMG_3751.jpg