Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Squishy worm question

When I first saw the squishy worm flys that uses the material from toy balls, they just did not interest me that much. The material just looked to coarse to me. Well with time the techniques have evolved and I've become more comfortable with the concept of the material. My question is just how durable is this stuff? Nothing lasts forever, but do the fish tear it up and how well does it age? I'm not a fan of one fish flies or something that disintegrates on it's own in short order. Toothy critters are another mater, nothing is bullet proof, and I'm not talking decades.

I have only made these flys for bluegil and they pull them apart in short order, so i just strung them on the hook wacky worm style and caught just as many fish for a lot less work in tying, like none..lol.

In the uncut, original condition, the material lasts a long time. I've got a ball that was given to me a decade or more ago, still stretches, etc. like new.

BUT ... when you cut it, stick a hook through it or tighten down on it with thread too much, it tears from the point rather easily. The flies will still make it through half a day, give or take.

ok, Mike..i.ve been doing all those things..what you say makes sense, thanks..like having a chip in your rod, the break is started..

When I tie in straight on the hook I put a little thread behind the hook eye. then run the point thru the squiggly material and super glue it to the front.

I don't wrap thread around it then.

Tie in on wacky worm style also has worked well for me.

Humm, not as tough as I might have hoped for then. I might play with it anyway.