Fly Tying
robbor

Hair stackers, stainless

The comb pulls out fluff. Static pulls out fluff. Static in a hair stacker would be bad. Static in a comb is good. No?

No.

A plastic comb only makes all the hairs statically charged. When you're done getting all the "fluff" out, the remaining hairs will fan out, each hair trying to separate from every other. It's almost impossible to get the resulting puff ball into a packer, or to even hold it in place for tying.

I guess it's a good thing I have never experienced static in the plastic comb I've been using for years. Possibly a benifit to having lots of hot muggy humid heat over dry heat.

The comb pulls out fluff. Static pulls out fluff. Static in a hair stacker would be bad. Static in a comb is good. No?

No.

A plastic comb only makes all the hairs statically charged. When you're done getting all the "fluff" out, the remaining hairs will fan out, each hair trying to separate from every other. It's almost impossible to get the resulting puff ball into a packer, or to even hold it in place for tying.

Now I know why my trout flys are so ugly.

A plastic comb only makes all the hairs statically charged.

Now I know why my trout flys are so ugly.

Sure ... you can use that excuse !!! rolleyes.gif

Thanks Mikechell, I had known in the abstract about static & deer hair, but still somehow never really put two and two together, until just now with your explanation.

I was almost sure the static charge was from human to what ever.

When two insulating materials are in contact, the electrons of the surface atoms bond together. When the materials are separated some electrons are pulled away from one of the materials by the other. That leaves one material with a negative charge in the other with a positive charge. Walking across a carpet in socks, rubbing your hair with a balloon or combing out deer hair with a plastic comb can build a charge.

Knowledge is nothing more than a parlor game if it is not applied to real life.

??? What ???

If you don't have the knowledge BEFORE it's needed, then you can't apply it to "real life".

"Good judgement comes from experience ... which usually results from bad judgement." (several notable people are credited with that quote)

But that adage doesn't mean YOU have to screw up to gain the experience. You can learn from other's mistakes. THAT'S knowledge.

Knowledge is power ... always. Nobody has ever failed because gained too much knowledge. They might have been killed for it, but they didn't fail.

Read it again. If you have the knowledge and do not apply it to real life it is a parlor game. Many people have knowledge they never apply to real life. Partly that is because we teach knowledge in such a fragmented, un-connected, and isolated manner.

Okay ... I don't know what you mean, but okay. mellow.png

I'm, obviously, not knowledgeable enough to understand your line of reasoning, so I am not even going to try. wacko.png