Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheThrill02

Questions about the Ketchum Release Tool and Gut Hooked Panfish

Is a Ketchum Release Tool the same as a disgorger? I've had some panfish getting hooked deep in the throat, and I want to know if this product would provide a solution to getting the hooks out of their mouths quickly. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I want to know if any of you have experience with this product and its ability to unhook flies from a fishes mouth. I'd also like to know if you guys have any solutions for getting flies out of the throats of panfish. Is there any way of preventing panfish getting hooked deep in the throat? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Any input on this would be much appreciated!

I've never used a "Ketchum" ... but this tool ...

33201.jpg

It's worked for me for a few decades.

Thanks. I looked up a vid on one of those and that will really help out with those panfish and other fish that swallow the hook too deep.

Bluegill are not shy to grab a fly. A tout line will hook them in the mouth most of the time. Are you giving them too much slack?

I once made myself a release tool with a broken spoke from a bicycle wheel. It would work well for the small mouths of bluegills.

What I use now is a combo hemostats/scissors that works well for bigger fish.

I always carry Hemostats as well. To carry just clip them to my shirt or vest.

Remember to crush the barbs either at the bench or before fishing.

What size hooks are you using?

You can also notch the end of a small stick and use that, just kind of flatten and notch it it works well if you don't have anything with you.

Sometimes (very rarely) I'll just leave the hook in if it's difficult and take it out during cleaning. Nice thing about fly fishing is almost always the fly is hooked in the mouth and is easily to come out.

Jeff

In the words of Hobo Jims song "Fishing for Chickens" - it swallowed the hook mom grease up the skillet

Hemostats are all I use for small and large fish, have two sets in my boat and one on my fly fishing vest.

I was using a size 10 Muddler Minnow I made myself. I do carry hemostats, but its hard to get the hook out sometimes even with those. And I always try to crimp my barbs, but sometimes I forget to. I got a disgorger today, and I feel that will really help my problem.

I was using a size 10 Muddler Minnow I made myself. I do carry hemostats, but its hard to get the hook out sometimes even with those. And I always try to crimp my barbs, but sometimes I forget to. I got a disgorger today, and I feel that will really help my problem.

1. If a hemostat, plier or other tool doesn't work going down the mouth of the fish you can remove the hook from the gill plate.

Matt Allen of Tacticle Bassin explains it best.

2. I use size 10 hooks for panfish and am able to easily remove the hook most of the time going down the mouth with my hemostats.

To do this you must crush the barbs or it makes the job tougher than it has to be.

Occasionally I have to remove the hook from the gill plate the way Matt describes.

Tip: You can usually see how and where the hook point is stuck by looking up thru the gills.

3. If the hook is nowhere in sight and is actually swallowed, don't damage the fish by pulling on the hook...just cut the line.