Fly Tying

I have a couple under armour shirts my brother got for me when he worked at dicks. They are awesome. Light, comfortable, and a lot cooler than the standard colombia and bass pro brand.

Maybe yours is different than mine, but the one under armor one I have is the least cool of the 4 or 5 brands I have. The material is a bit softer and heavier. Nice shirt, this particular one just isn't super light weight and breathable like some of my others.

I just saw a cooling dog bed at the pet store. No chord. I have no idea how or if it works.

Rocco

So jade is rock, the Simms shirt is advertised as Stone cold or Stone Cool or something like that to be refrigerator cool to the touch because it has "recycled jade" woven into it: no other brand that I'm aware of makes such a claim.

In all the world where would you find jade to recycle?

Cool Control™ is a cool touch fabric technology that utilizes recycled Jade stones that are converted into a fine powder and implanted into the yarn. This green technology offers a sustainable solution for cool wearing garments and also provides the wearer with anti-odor, wicking and quick-dry performance.

$120 for shirt made of semi precious stone? how can you beat that?

In all the world where would you find jade to recycle?

Think of it as jade dust. When you carve, or cut, or polish jade, you create a pile of jade dust, just as cutting and polishing diamonds produces diamond dust. Diamond dust is used for abrasives, now jade dust is used for fishing shirts.

So, if there's jade dust in the shirt ... you can't wash it? Seems to me, a couple of trips through a good washing machine would shake out all that dust ... or it is not doing its job.

I never thought they cut all that much jade.

dust

That's the other thing, what keeps the dust from falling out?

I bet if you embroider a little fly fishermen above the pocket you can get $150.00 for it

I just saw a Columbia one at BassPro for $150, and it did not even have the little fly fisherman embroidered...!

I just saw a Columbia one at BassPro for $150, and it did not even have the little fly fisherman embroidered...!

was it made out of rock?

Enjoyed reading this thread and was reminded that every manufacturer is hoping that some feature (or claimed feature) will make their product stand out from others - and that lots of sales (money...) will result. Here's my take on it...

For those who only get out on the water when they can (and most will cheerfully admit - not enough...) the idea of a "cooling shirt" is attractive - and might even have some merit. When my anglers are hot and sweaty - along with keeping them hydrated.. I simply fire up the motor and we run to another spot (instant air conditioning...).

For fellows like me who are on the water day in and day out - our shirts and other clothing provide a quite different benefit and that is protection from sun and insects, and other environmental hazards. Down here in the tropics the sun is simply deadly over time. I've lost more than a half dozen folks I've known, half of them fishing guides, over the years to skin cancer (melanoma, the baddest one around) so it's a real concern. Some insects aren't bothered one bit by the best insect repellants so covering up is your only defense (if you don't count running away from them...). Here I'm particularly thinking about sand flies (no see ums..) and deer flies (my northern anglers call them "green heads").

Day in and day out I'm covered up like some kind of desert raider, even in August... Long pants, shoes and socks, long sleeved shirts, Mangrove finger-less gloves, and my face is covered with a Buff... All of that is after using a good quality sunscreen for all of my facial areas...

The brand of shirts (and pants) that I prefer is Ex Officio.. but because they're just work clothes I try to buy them used (then simply wear them out ....). I have a sewing outfit that regularly repairs rips, tears and punctures (fishing the 'glades means you're working in a jungle...literally...).

No, none of the "miracle" fibers protect you enough from the sun (synthetics are naturally more UV protective than cotton or other natural fabrics - so the manufacturer gets to claim special benefits..). Although I never go bare armed on the water - my arms have a noticeable tan -right through the fabric of the shirts...

Yes, if you spend a lot of time in the sun a dermatologist is a necessity - and you'll find yourself with an appointment - every six months.... So far I've only shown one small basal cell carcinoma (and the basal cell is rarely deadly - although you won't look so nice if the docs have to cut off a piece of an ear -or your nose or lip...). In my youth (only fifty years ago now...) I worked my first boats wearing only a pair of shorts and sunglasses - who knew? So I know I'll be having an on-going skin cancer concern for the rest of my life. Staying covered up and protected in the sun is a pretty good idea. Must admit, though, that I can clearly remember when none of the fancy fishing specific clothing was even thought of and all of us just wore tropical weight work clothing on the water....

Without trying to sound racists I work with a lot of brown people(Latinos,Salvadorians and eastern Indians)

You know what they all have in common? none of them wear high end designer cooling shirts.

They wear a cotton T-shirt with a long serve cotton shirt and then a safety vest or a cotton hoodie with a safety vest

and a ridiculously large brimmed straw hat.

And it aint because theyre broke and cant afford $150 shirts...they make damn good money and work in 100 degree weather with 75%-100% humidity.

Maybe they know something us flyfishermen,Simms,Columbia & Under Armour dont know

wisegeek: As a general rule, the best fabrics for tropical climates are those made from natural materials such as cotton, linen and rayon . Strictly speaking, rayon is a semi-synthetic fiber, but it is made from natural raw materials and resembles natural fibers in its properties. These materials tend to “breathe” more than synthetics such as polyester.

Most synthetics trap heat in.

Light colored cotton long sleeves and cotton "khaki" pants with a full brimmed hat were my choices for forty odd years of construction work in the sun. I tried the bare skin bit many times and it was always hotter than a cotton shirt. I have several of the synthetic fishing shirts that have been gifted to me by our kids and while I like the vented design and large pockets, I don't wear them in extreme heat nor for long hours in the sun.

If those special fishing shirts were made of linen or a light weight cotton they would be my daily wear.

Just in passing cotton is one of the few fabrics that doesn't catch fire and burn you to death.

Not trying to sell anything on here but I do sell some for my subscribers of my channel that are cooling. Seems to work well, and hey have a hood so it keeps the sun off you. I like them a lot. I sell them for $35.99. Personally I dont fish in anything else during the summer, really does help. Whatever brand you get, make sure they are spf rated. Mine are spf 55+, and many are similar. Like I said, the hood helps. I recently had melanoma, and when I put on a baseball hat, put the hood up, I never get burnt anymore, and it really does help make you feel cooler.

Not trying to sell anything on here but I do sell some for my subscribers of my channel that are cooling. Seems to work well, and hey have a hood so it keeps the sun off you. I like them a lot. I sell them for $35.99. Personally I dont fish in anything else during the summer, really does help. Whatever brand you get, make sure they are spf rated. Mine are spf 55+, and many are similar. Like I said, the hood helps. I recently had melanoma, and when I put on a baseball hat, put the hood up, I never get burnt anymore, and it really does help make you feel cooler.

What gives the SPF rating? I ask because the stuff in sun lotion that makes the SPF causes me severe rash and with continued use blisters.