Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishnPhil

Standard Nymph Hook, Standard Wire, Standard Shank, Question

I'd like to know what the original poster wants the hook for and why

If he wants a nymph hook the heavier the better.

If he wants to tie a nymph on a dry fly hook then just do it

If he can't get a smaller hook then just tie a smaller fly on the smallest hook. No commandments telling you you have to use the entire shank

This is sorta where I am. The 2XL can be achieved by subbing standard length for a smaller hook. A shorter shank can be had by using a wide gape in a smaller size.

I can't get into tiny hooks any more but when I could see and tie tippets to the small stuff, I tied some #24 (smallest we had in that time and place) with as little as 1/3 of the shank covered in thread and a slight lump for a thorax or just a few turns of fine herl. You can make really small looking profiles by simply not using much material, untwisting the thread so that it lies flat like a floss to cover the shank, use a single flue as body or thorax material.

My thoughts on the tiniest hooks, are they probably will fish in or on the film regardless and in sizes smaller than 20 bare hooks can catch fish. There used to be a gold hook that I only used bare for trout, but I can't recall size nor maker.

All this in an attempt to say that by keeping the profile dimensions and proportions close to correct, a representation can be tied on many models of hooks.

Wow, thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies. I spent some time looking through Mike's link to flyhooks.org (though I did not look at all hooks!), rockworm's script, laughed that Philly is (at least one of) a die hard TMC 101 user biggrin.png, and looked up a lot of the suggestions but it appears that the only hooks listed as standard wire, standard gap, standard shank nymph hooks are the Daiichi 1550 and Eagle Claw Lo60. At least supposedly. The jury is out until a true measurement by measurement comparison can be performed smile.png I'm going to put out a hypothesis that these two hooks actually match up with 2x wire of a Tiemco 3796...anyone have them side by side to compare?

Also, the Dai Riki equivalent is #070, but is fine wire instead of standard.

@chugbug, are you guessing are did you actually compare those hook models? I would hate to order the Daiichi 1550's only to end up with more Tiemco 3769's.

@utyer, your response makes sense and provides some explanation and logic behind why a 0xl, 0xh, standard gap nymph hook isn't "standard" and doesn't really make sense...well at least to sane people biggrin.png

@silvercreek, excellent advice. I will have to tie some with these wider gap style and see if it seems like I land more. I really like those emerger hooks

To those asking why I need such a hook. I don't and can use a lot of the suggestions. I was looking for something heavier than fine wire for strength and lighter than 2x strong for "selective fish" (put in quotes because I don't want to argue if the hook wire gauge matters haha).

However, I found it super odd that this combination doesn't exist, it seems like most other combinations do, and I thought I would ask why.

In addition, when I looked up hook comparison charts, it led to more confusion because several models do not appear match. If the Daiichi 1550 is truly a 0x (or even a 1x) wire then the Tiemco 3769 should not be equivalent if it is truly 2x...unless Daiichi's 0/1x = Tiemco's 2x, which would be even more confusing.

It's quite possible this is just a glitch in the Matrix ohmy.png ohmy.png laugh.png ph34r.png

@Fishinphil

My comparison of the three was eyeballing primarily for length and shape (too close to bother with any difference), then for being a wet hook (v. dry hook), and not so much for the exact weight of the hooks, since they'll all sink fine. I use a light hook if I want it on top of the film or barely subsurface, and none of those are what I would call light. I'll check on them for you when I'm home to see which is the lightest, but from research I assume it's the Daiichi, then Tiemco, then mustad.

Two other points

1. If you search on rockworm's hook data tool, you'll find a Daiichi 1190 that's standard length and weight, that goes down to 24. I'm just going off rockworm's info, I don't have any of those hooks myself.

2. The mustad 3906 I have is the old line (in a #16), not the new Mustad line. Mustad changed hook lines more than a few years back partly because there were inconsistencies in proportion between sizes of the same style hook. So the new or old Mustad 20 may not actually match the Daiichi 20, but I imagine it should be close.

Thank you. I did notice you put "old mustad" so I figured there must have been a change at some point. It will be interesting to hear what you find from the eyeball test.

I get confused easily but as far as I know there are no industry standards, each company has it's own standards and if they match any other company's standard it is accidental. I have lots of old Mustad hooks and in some instances the modern hooks made by the other company have been a full size off- as their #20 was bigger than the old #18s I have. (or maybe it was 16&18)

This makes me think that some manufacturer's 1x short, standard wire will probably be what I want.

tjm, I think you are correct and in addition to some of the points that utyer makes, I'm not going to worry much about trying to find these hooks. I still think it's odd that this combination does not exist. Also, if I passed someone on the way in/out of a place, I would never believe it if someone told me they caught all their fish on a bare gold hook! LoL!! :D :D Not that I doubt that you have.

Also, if I passed someone on the way in/out of a place, I would never believe it if someone told me they caught all their fish on a bare gold hook! LoL!! :D :D Not that I doubt that you have.

Bare red hooks work too.

@FishnPhil,

post-60546-0-50262800-1529442185_thumb.jpg

post-60546-0-61878800-1529442139_thumb.jpg

I took two sets of pics for you, one with flash and one without. As I said, these all look so similar to me, eyeballing it, that I put them in the same hook container and use them interchangeably (standard length wet fly). The only one I can tell is different from thickness of the wire is the Mustad, but honestly even that one I'd have a hard time telling from the others if it were not for the fact that the others have the micro barb.

I think the two hooks on the bottom are the Tiemco 3769 (advertised as 2xh). I know the hook on the upper right is the old Mustad 3906 (advertised as 3xh). I think the hook on the upper left is the Daiichi 1550 (advertised as standard weight). All advertised as standard length, all advertised sproat bend. I say "I think" because I could be confusing the Tiemco with the Daiichi, but they are slightly different colors (though both are advertised as bronze) so I know they're different. I'm calling the upper left one the Daiichi only because it appears to me to be slightly, very very slightly, thinner wire.

So, if it were me wanting a 0xl 0xh straight shank wet/nymph hook, I'd order the Daiichi 1550, as they're at least advertised as standard weight, and they're $5 for 25 hooks (instead of $9 for 25 (Tiemco)).