Fly Tying
xvigauge

Yellar Hammer Wet Fly

Being a Southerner, I hate to say this, but the Yellerhammer is a butt ugly fly. I hope it works for you. You should always take regional patterns VERY SERIOUSLY, IMHO.

I tied a few up for a FF@ get together in East Tennessee many years ago. Never did make the trip. I did catch a couple of brook trout on them in Vermont. Haven't tried them for pan fish. Might tie a couple up and give them a shot in the spring. If I were tying them today, I would use yellow goose feather for the tail, not sure what I would use for the body. Take a yellow permanent marker to a grizzly hackle and add a black bead head to the mix.

Flicted, and anyone else tempted to pick up and use feathers from protected birds. DON'T DO IT. Possession of the feathers no matter how you came into possession is NOT permitted. You can't pick up and use these feathers. After discussing this use on an open forum, you might just find yourself on a watch list. Fines are substantial for simply possessing the feathers. The EPA or what ever agency that may (or may not,) come to your door, has no way to know how you came into possession. That's why the law states "Possession" is not permitted.

Chances are remote, that someone would come knocking, but it is just not worth it. This rule applies to all song birds, and all Raptors. There are other laws concerning the migratory birds, and sale of even game birds.

MBTA falls under USFWS (Department of the Interior) https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

But might be enforced by any law enforcement officer, when reported by friends and neighbors.

Doesn't cover non-migratory birds like quail and grouse and some invasives such as starlings, English sparrows,common pigeon,

Biots from Hobby Lobby wrapped over dubbed body, counter wrapped with gold wire. Not sure how close to the referenced original, but not worried about sourcing materials.

post-61693-0-13204400-1545930910_thumb.jpg

post-61693-0-53284600-1545931103_thumb.jpg

Funny this came up again, I did a materials purge on Christmas eve and tossed a lot of old materials. All contraband is at the landfill. On a bit of a side note, I saved so much room in material drawers by cutting off sections of deer patches and calf, squirrel, buck tails where the hair has been clipped. Also by plucking and sorting crests and hackles from Golden and Amherst pheasant heads. I also stripped the fluff from several mallard breast and wood duck feathers until it got boring.

I read through that link. I fully support the act and understand the reasoning. I find it interesting that Wood Duck, Starling, and Mourning Dove are in the list of protected species. (unless I read it wrong)

red cheek starling (on the list) is different than european starling (not on the list) that is a pest bird in the usa

european starling (tying feathers)

67454991-480px.jpg

The Eurasian collared dove is also an non-protected invasive- more flytying stuff66035091-720px.jpg

Noahguide, that actually looks pretty close.

Joe

Joe, thanks. I'm headed to the mountains tomorrow, I'll let you know if the trout agree.