Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Smoky Mountain Fork Tail

I saw this fly mentioned in a book about Smoky Mountain fly fishing. It was mentioned as a nymph (there was not a picture of it), but the only thing I can find in an on line search is a dry fly. It looks like a pretty good fly as a dry fly, but I would still like to see the nymph version if it actually exists. It looks to me to be on the order of the Prince nymph. I suppose I could tie one by substituting the dry fly hackle with some kind of soft hackle. Anyone know of a nymph version?

Joe

Smoky%20Mountain%20Forked%20Tail.jpg

Smoky Mountain Fork Tail

I was going to check the books I have on Smoky Mountains & East Tennessee fly patterns...

Not the nymph.. but here you go for the dry..

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/tutorials_flytying.htm/smoky%20mountain%20forked%20tail.htm

Hook: Mustad 94831 or 94840 dry fly hook, size 14
Thread: orange floss
Tail: 2 brown or tan goose biots
Body: orange floss wrapped to shape full length of the body.
Wings: 2 brown or tan goose biots
Hackle: light ginger rooster hackle

Thanks guys for all the replies. The pics that flytire posted were very good, and I have to say the this forked tail looks nothing like the dry fly, but then, a nymph usually does not resemble the adult. When I first saw the post, I thought it looked a lot like a black version of the yellar hammer, but with no yellow. I'm going to make a stab at it and substitute some material; i.e., peacock hurl (as I don't have any ostrich hurl, and maybe a quail or starling wing feather as I don't have any crow feathers. I tried to post a picture, but I received a message that said the file was too large to load.

Joe

I'm sorry what you perceived is not what you expected

When you find the "actual" recipe, please post it

:)

Cheap and plenty ostrich can be found at Walmart in natural feather dusters. I been using 2 feathers for over a year now. About 10.00 us for the duster.

You can use photobucket to post full sized images. Otherwise file reduction app.

post-61897-0-03120700-1533316552_thumb.jpg

I think I got it to work.

Sorry the fly pic is so blurry, but I think you can get the gist of it; i.e., orange dubbed body, goose boots fo the tail and wings, peacock hurl for the collar or thorax, and partridge soft hackle.

Joe

When researching this fly, The Smoky Mountain Forked Tail nymph I could not find it as I stated. But thanks to flytire for the additional info. Little did I know that the "Crow Fly" is another name for the same nymph. I found a picture and recipe for the Crow Fly in Ian Rutter's book, "GSMNP Fly Fishing Guide." The first picture is my rendition. Notice I used black dyed goose biots to add a real "forked tail" as well as a tungsten bead.

Joe

post-61897-0-72192700-1533672034_thumb.jpg

post-61897-0-29959800-1533672189_thumb.jpg

post-61897-0-69183800-1533672223_thumb.jpg

Would this be using the leading edge or trailing edge of the wing feather for the hackle? I have a starling skin and don't have much use for the wings yet.

Would this be using the leading edge or trailing edge of the wing feather for the hackle? I have a starling skin and don't have much use for the wings yet.

Yes, that is exactly what I used. I soaked the feathers from a starling wing for a few hours by placing them in wet paper towels. This makes them more pliable. I either split the feather or pulled off one side, whichever was the easiest to do at the time. I used the shortest edge of the feathers. I also trimmed some of them (the edge) to about 1/8" or so. That seemed to work ok too.

Joe