Fly Tying

If bluegill got to 10lb they wouldn't as hard.

For freshwater I do love the spunk of the panfish family.

For saltwater, for me anyway, its redfish.

Since this thread is about FRESHWATER fish, it is of no value here to argue the relative merits of a 50# Bluegill against a 50# Permit. Yes the type of tackle use will have some bearing on the perceived fight of any fish, and so will the size. In my experience, I would rate the Bowfin as a very hard fighter. Being the dinosaur that I am, I will add this information from Wikipedia before MIke C chimes in.

"They are regarded as taxonomic relicts, being the sole surviving species of the order Amiiformes which dates from the Jurassic to the Eocene, persisting to the present." No I have not been fishing for them quite THAT long, but every one I have caught has put up quite a battle.

I don't think I've ever called you a dinosaur, utyer. I might have wondered if you witness their rise and fall ... but I never called you one.

I've caught a number of catfish on the fly before, and they just go to the bottom and sit. It's like dragging a log up. And that in stillwater.

The longest fight I've ever had with a fish was a steelhead, on the Deschutes. With a 6 weight. On a size 18 zebra midge. He was a fighter for sure, but I was also fighting the current. He'd run out into the fast current and it was all I could do to pull him over into the slack water. Then he'd race out to the fast water and we'd do it all over again. Took at least 20 minutes. If he'd been in stillwater it wouldn't have taken near that long.

I've love to try out some of the exotics in Aftrica or South American. Or that Mongolian fish someone mentioned.

If bluegill got to 10lb they wouldn't as hard.

For freshwater I do love the spunk of the panfish family.

Original post did specify fresh water. A bluegill fights much harder than any other fish of the size/weight. Although very hypothetical, If bluegill got to 10 pounds, I'm not so sure they'd lose their fight. Sometimes a 10 ounce bluegill fights so hard you think it's a bass. But the difference in the fight of a 1.5 pounder is proportional. Nothing like laying into a big mess of pounders on a fly rod or through the ice.

I've mostly fished trout, so I don't have a lot to compare to. Most fun fishing I ever did was for pickerel in Maine, we were in canoes in a bog and they hit deer hair poppers hard and fought like crazy.

Sounds like I should go find some bluegill!

Like jdowney; I should go find some bluegill as the only fishing I do with a fly rod is trout. I do know the fun of engaging and landing a 25" rainbow on a 5 wgt. My only experience with SM or LM is with ultra light spinning gear and there I think the SM out performs and out fights LM. My intent this spring/summer, after following the site for some time on somewhat a regular basis is to target SM with a new rod from Steve. So in essence, I responded with really nothing to add.

My intent this spring/summer, after following the site for some time on somewhat a regular basis is to target SM with a new rod from Steve.

You'll love SM on a fly rod! I'm going to try and pickup a 7wt this year for them, but my 5wt is a lot of fun with them too.

160 pound "Goliath Bluegill" ... very rare.

I hope they released that one after the photo.

Denduke I heard everything was bigger in Texas.

Guess M'sipi got em beat.

I suspect they caught it on one of your fancy poppers

IMG-6228.jpg

Kitt showing her cork keeping technique

IMG-6231.png

And so the obsession with "bream", we call'em down here in Dixie, continues...

(M'sipi)