Fly Tying

I took a trip to San Antonio, TX and brought my travel 3wt rod with me because I just can't go anywhere without a fly rod in hand. The river I was fishing was the Guadelupe river, just north of San Antonio. It was a great trip, and I was able to bring in quite a few fish. One being a catfish! I know, catfish on the fly! But it was a 3 species trip, and I was able to catch bass and bluegill as well.

So the reason I took this trip to San Antonio, was that my wife's sister got married! Congrats to Claudia and Ryan! Anyway, the wedding was one day, and we were there a total of 6, so I had a few days to go try my hand at the river. I tried many spots, and probably could have done better if I knew the river more. Also, the fly rod was a 3wt, so it was tough to get the larger bass streamers out with casts. But it still was a fun time!

Interesting video.

I thinks it's funny that you tell viewers not to grab the rod above the handle on your first fish, then proceed to do it on almost every fish.

Nice catfish ... not large by catfish standards, but good sized for that river.

I am sure there are clear indicators whether those are Guadelupe bass. According to the Texas Wildlife site:

"The Guadalupe bass is generally green in color and may be distinguished from similar species found in Texas in that it doesn't have vertical bars like smallmouth bass, its jaw doesn't extend beyond the eyes as in largemouth bass, and coloration extends much lower on the body than in spotted bass."

You caught more than three species, as you had Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Long Eared Sunfish and Bluegill, as far as I could make out. Plus the bass and catfish ... that's a five species trip.

Interesting video.

I thinks it's funny that you tell viewers not to grab the rod above the handle on your first fish, then proceed to do it on almost every fish.

Nice catfish ... not large by catfish standards, but good sized for that river.

I am sure there are clear indicators whether those are Guadelupe bass. According to the Texas Wildlife site:

"The Guadalupe bass is generally green in color and may be distinguished from similar species found in Texas in that it doesn't have vertical bars like smallmouth bass, its jaw doesn't extend beyond the eyes as in largemouth bass, and coloration extends much lower on the body than in spotted bass."

You caught more than three species, as you had Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Long Eared Sunfish and Bluegill, as far as I could make out. Plus the bass and catfish ... that's a five species trip.

Thanks mike! Yeah I did look it up and knew none were Guadeloupe, but last I did that, I got one wrong and people flipped out. So I thought Id let my subs determine the species. Haha. As for sunfish, I call them all bluegill which I know probably isnt the correct term. Sorry, just habbit.

As for grabbing the rod further up, yeah its a bad habbit I have. I had one person flip out because they said they did that after watching my video and broke their rod, they wanted to sue me and have me buy them a new sage. Lol. So while I know I shouldnt do it, I put that disclaimer in the video to keep crazies from trying to take me to court. And yes I know I should not do it. Again just a habbit.

Thanks for telling me all the species. Its been a long time since I was a warm water fisherman and its nice to have the experts in that field like you, to tell me what species I got. Thanks Mike!

And while I know catfish get massive, to me that was a good size, especially being a small 3wt Fly rod. I really thought I was going to loose the fish the whole fight. This thing had power! Well wouldnt feel too powerful with a 5 or 6wt but, it sure was a good fight with this 3wt.

So it turns out there was a Guadeloupe in there. One of my subs said he fishes that river and said there was one. Nice!

I wasn't dissing the size of the catfish.

They are a blast on a fly rod ... even a 5 weight rod gets a good workout with a cat that size. Wait 'til you get a 4 or 5 pound catfish !!!

Any bigger than that and you probably won't land it on a fly rod. I think they qualify on the "what's the hardest fighting fish" thread, except they aren't targeted by fly anglers.

Oh I didnt take it as you dissing, just was explaining that it was big for me. Hahahaha

I would say that they fight hard but, carp are harder fighters in my opinion. I caught a 31 carp on a 5wt before and dang!!!! 21.5 minutes later I was able to hold it. I know because I filmed it. Literally 21 and a half minute fight. I was soooooo tired at the end. Haha.

wink.png I remember that video. But until you've caught a 31 inch catfish to compare, size for size, it's a "non-debate".

I've never caught a cat that large on a fly rod ... pretty sure I don't want to. I have, however, caught cats that large on rod and reel. I stopped fishing for them after catching a couple ... too much like work, bringing in a fish that takes 20, 30 minutes to bring to hand.

wink.png I remember that video. But until you've caught a 31 inch catfish to compare, size for size, it's a "non-debate".

I've never caught a cat that large on a fly rod ... pretty sure I don't want to. I have, however, caught cats that large on rod and reel. I stopped fishing for them after catching a couple ... too much like work, bringing in a fish that takes 20, 30 minutes to bring to hand.

Youre right Mike. hard to compare.