Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

dash camera

Man, in MN it's illegal to mount a camera or GPS unit to the windshield. Would that guy get the tickets in MN. 

1 hour ago, vicrider said:

Man, in MN it's illegal to mount a camera or GPS unit to the windshield. Would that guy get the tickets in MN. 

I have used GPS units in MN without a problem.

Navigation systems. GPS devices, toll collection devices like an EZ Pass are legal if mounted in the lower portion of the windshield.

Here is the pertinent regulation:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.71

"Subdivision 1.Prohibitions generally; exceptions.

(a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:

(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than:

(iv) global positioning systems or navigation systems when mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield;

(v) electronic toll collection devices; and

(vi) an identifying device as provided in section 169.58, subdivision 5, when the device is mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield; or

(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law or authorized by the state director of the Division of Emergency Management or the commissioner of public safety.

Never used GPS as I never trusted it. Knew too many people who used it and got lost. Been contemplating a dash cam. Several years ago I had a lady turn right from the left lane and hit my van. Not sure how TN requires mounting one. Good to have one front and back.

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

Never used GPS as I never trusted it. Knew too many people who used it and got lost. Been contemplating a dash cam. Several years ago I had a lady turn right from the left lane and hit my van. Not sure how TN requires mounting one. Good to have one front and back.

1. The GPS maps need to be updated.

Garmin updates their maps at least 3 times a year. Buy a Garmin with free lifetime updates.

2. I update mine every year and have not had a problem. Another benefit is that some Garmins can warn you of upcoming construction and detours because the devices are able to communicate with each other. My Garmin has routed me around closures on a freeway due to accidents.

Without the warning to exit at the next off ramp, I would have been stuck in traffic because all lanes were closed several miles down the freeway. My Garmin routed me to the next onramp after the closure.

1. As I said, I never trusted GPS. I would get emails for updates for $99; deleted them. I'm from the old school. I had a sales business for seven years and spent the $$$ on maps. When I discontinued the business, I tossed about 25 city and state maps. I still have about a 15-18 maps. Now I go to Google Earth Pro, look up the address, print a general map of the area and write the directions on the back. I learned years ago to look for at least two streets before I make a turn. Works every time.

2. For Tennessee, I have Smartway from TDOT but if an accident happens within a short time before an update, the app doesn't do any good. I swore off interstates years ago when I went from Tennessee to Pennsylvania. I go Hwy 11 to Chattanooga and miss all the I-75 traffic. FWIW, an older cousin used to race dirt track jalopies in his younger years. Someone asked him if it was dangerous. He replied, "No. Everyone is going in the same direction, the same speed and they know what they are doing."

I have thought about a dash camera more for our protection in today's world. I am told I drive like an old man out for a Sunday ride and that doesn't help slow down aggressive drivers from going around or trying to drive through me. As for the truck supplied GPS, I refuse to pay for an update, I have a Garmin RV unit with traffic & free updates for life, it actually routes me off roads that I am prohibited from (GVW, propane, trailer) the OEM unit would send me right into passenger vehicle's only routes. My favorite is still maps for planning and looking at places, in particular the DeLorme series map books, easy to keep notes and great detail for fishing spots, camping, and parking details. I lost one book in Vermont and whomever found it got a decade worth of fishing information in it.

On 4/24/2022 at 2:48 PM, SilverCreek said:

I have used GPS units in MN without a problem.

Navigation systems. GPS devices, toll collection devices like an EZ Pass are legal if mounted in the lower portion of the windshield.

Here is the pertinent regulation:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.71

"Subdivision 1.Prohibitions generally; exceptions.

(a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:

(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than:

(iv) global positioning systems or navigation systems when mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield;

(v) electronic toll collection devices; and

(vi) an identifying device as provided in section 169.58, subdivision 5, when the device is mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield; or

(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law or authorized by the state director of the Division of Emergency Management or the commissioner of public safety.

Interesting. I retired from MN/Dot about 12 years ago and I believe those statutes you list have been amended to allow some of the things that used to be illegal since they were violated so frequently anyway. Another thing illegal though violated by most people having them is leaving your handicap card hanging from the mirror while driving. Mine goes on and off since it definitely interferes with vision when hanging there.