Fly Tying
flytire

what does your fly photography and or video setup look like?

i am curious on what your tying photography and or video setups look like

please show some photos and list your equipment

please no negative comments of tyers setups

thanks

norm

heres my photo setup

pdMAWyt.jpg

2 daylight full spectrum lights and a sunpak led light

tripod

nikon coolpix s9900 for photos. i also have a canon eos m for when i might dabble in tying videos

swappable craft paper backgrounds held in a typist document holder

wow..This is very organized and well set up..thumbs up

i have been updating "my take on fly photography" on my blog

be aware i am no professional photographer with $$$$$ cameras and eqiupment

i prefer to post process all of my photos using photo editing software and the submit them to a photo hosting website

i preer not to post thumbnail sized attatchments from my hard drive

i just identify things that work for me

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/search?q=my+take

Just read your blog on the editing software...I personally use Adobe light room for editing but their free version has very limited options..I think I will try what you use (Photoscape x pro) and see how that goes for me.. Thanks for the very informative blog

i used to use this studio in a box but got rid of it due to no room to set it up

34447.jpg

That is like mine, it even came with those lamps. I don't have that camera mount. I use a regular tripod.

Those are called light boxes,,been around a long time mostly used in macro photography. In a sense fly photography is macro or at least close up photography.. Back in the day ( not really so long ago) we needed expensive macro lenses to do that kind of photography, Today a relatively inexpensive point and shoot has very nice close up capability, as has been shown here in the forum time and again by many of those who ingratiate us with their photos and flies.. But good photography of any kind always starts with good use of lighting.

What brand of lights are those on the sides?

I dont have a particular setup that i use. I do have a question about this topic though. Do you focus your lighting more on the fly or on your back drop? I have photographed many of my flies and some of them look good but i feel like they could be better while using most of the same equipment.

I'm not a fly photographer but I've had some photography classes over the years. eliminating shadows on the fly is your goal. Put light on the fly, direct and/or indirect, to rid all shadows. Lighting the background will only serve to darken the fly.

i have been updating "my take on fly photography" on my blog

be aware i am no professional photographer with $$$$$ cameras and eqiupment

i prefer to post process all of my photos using photo editing software and the submit them to a photo hosting website

i preer not to post thumbnail sized attatchments from my hard drive

i just identify things that work for me

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/search?q=my+take

Great information here and in that link you provided - thank you!

I (unfortunately) parted ways with some old superb/fine classic Nikkor lenses a while back to "go digital". Had I known I could have used my old macro lenses on my newer DSLR body (even knowing I'd lose the metering), I'd have retained them. I placed a bid on eBay earlier for today to try to get one. I've always loved close up photography and now I'm feeling like my flies have got to the point where I feel "comfortable" shooting close-ups of them (and want to because I love photography too). The images might actually help me see flaws I need to work on with my tying (double benefits)!

I use Styrofoam cup photography taken with a simple point and shoot camera.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=79338

35724587055_ba2be6f60a_o.jpg

Brilliant!

I used to be heavy into B&W (worked for Ilford so I got free film) and still have a Nikon FE and full gear. * sigh *

But my little Nikon Coolpix S9100 has defied me for macro. Have to try a styrofoam cup!