Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

The Adams dry fly is one of the most popular dry flies ever created for good reason. It mimics a mayfly perfectly and has proven itself throughout many years of fishing. It is widely effective on many rivers and creeks, and will continue to be for many years to come, if not forever!

One of the catskill style flies, this will float high when heavily hackled, has a nice profile, and can be tied in a wide range of sizes. I regularly tie 16-20 with these, but I know of some people tying all the way down to a size 26 and up to a size 10. If you get a Cree hackle, then you can use just one feather rather than two. However cree tends to be much more expensive, so I tie with the double feather method to achieve the brown and grizzly look.
As always I am listing the materials I used on this fly.
Hook I used: Firehole sticks #419 in size 16
Thread: Brown Veevus 16/0
Tail: Grizzly and Brown Rooster Neck
Wings: Grizzly Hen neck
Body: Adams Gray, UV2 Fine and Dry dubbing
Hackle: Brown and Grizzly Rooster Neck
Head cement: Hard as Hull

I really like that hen was used for the wing. That is what I do. I think it creates a nicer wing profile.

It also lets you save a few bucks. Hen capes and rooster saddles are less expensive then rooster capes.

Yeah r straight, I agree. I think hen neck saves a few bucks for sure! Also, the more rounded look to the tips make a better wing I think.

It also lets you save a few bucks. Hen capes and rooster saddles are less expensive then rooster capes.

They are cheaper, and they definitely make a better profile on an Adams than a rooster feather, but the cost is somewhat of a red herring. I have a little box that whenever I use a grizzly hackle for anything, I just save the tip for future wings. (I do the same with dark dun hackles, in a different box.) They still come in handy for smaller flies, and certain patterns that aren't mayfly imitations (like a mosquito).

They are cheaper, and they definitely make a better profile on an Adams than a rooster feather, but the cost is somewhat of a red herring. I have a little box that whenever I use a grizzly hackle for anything, I just save the tip for future wings. (I do the same with dark dun hackles, in a different box.) They still come in handy for smaller flies, and certain patterns that aren't mayfly imitations (like a mosquito).

This is true, if you have a lot of tips, this could be a good way of getting wing tips for catskill flies.

Muskrat could be used in a pinch. The Adams was originally tied with wool yarn.

Rstaight I did not know this ! Thanks.