Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Honestly, I am not trying to raise hackles or ruffle feathers (puns intended), but what does this vise do that makes it worth $500.00?

Especially, as you put it flytire, it doesn't actually come with all the bells and whistles?

Well, It has that "goose neck" shape that get's the vise out of the way of my left hand while I'm applying materials to the hook. The "pinch technique" tie down comes to mind. My vise is always in the way. This one has pointier jaws than mine, to hold small hooks. It sounds like it will accommodate a much larger variety of hooks than mine.

A little bit of frustration goes a long way for me. I spend quite a bit of time at my vise and I really want to enjoy it as much as I can.

It's official, mine has been ordered. I'm more excited about this than many things I have acquired lately.

With or without bells and whistles, I wanted to buy one and I did. Period.

I have no need to justify my purchase with anybody but me

Honestly, I am not trying to raise hackles or ruffle feathers (puns intended), but what does this vise do that makes it worth $500.00?

Especially, as you put it flytire, it doesn't actually come with all the bells and whistles?

Well, It has that "goose neck" shape that get's the vise out of the way of my left hand while I'm applying materials to the hook. The "pinch technique" tie down comes to mind. My vise is always in the way. This one has pointier jaws than mine, to hold small hooks. It sounds like it will accommodate a much larger variety of hooks than mine.

A little bit of frustration goes a long way for me. I spend quite a bit of time at my vise and I really want to enjoy it as much as I can.

It's official, mine has been ordered. I'm more excited about this than many things I have acquired lately.

Besides all this, it's a true rotary vise. Not all vises are that.

Thanks Mark

If I had the proper tools I would get a brass rod and thread the end to fit the hole in the rotation knob.

I did email Jon at HMH and he said they have an attachment from another vise that would fit

Norm

Thanks Mark

If I had the proper tools I would get a brass rod and thread the end to fit the hole in the rotation knob.

I did email Jon at HMH and he said they have an attachment from another vise that would fit

Norm

When I get my vise, I will make a few knobs.

With or without bells and whistles, I wanted to buy one and I did. Period.

I have no need to justify my purchase with anybody but me

I think that about sums it up. 😉

Personally myself I got a real bad Jones for the Predator vise.

One day I will own one and not because I need but because I want it.

Congratulations Mark!

Mike I thought $495 was not too bad for a top of the line American made vise. Regal and Renzetti's top models are even more expensive. I believe the Law vise, which the TRV shares some DNA, was retailing in the $800 range when they were available. I can't say to you that this vise has any particular feature that makes it "worth" the money. I have a Renzetti traveler which has never let me down and will do everything the TRV does. So why spend the dough? Well I can say that the TRV oozes quality, everything is finely machined stainless or brass and the functions are butter smooth. I just happen to like this design and the bills are paid so why not?

Think of it this way- over the years my wife has dropped some serious money on high end ladies hand bags. My brain say's "Really, how much? It seems to be made out of $30 worth of stitched together fabric and leather just like the ones at Wal-Mart- but my mouth says "Nice purse". And that's how I stay married-

(I'm sure my wife was thinking the same thing this week when she said "Nice vise" -LOL)

Merry Christmas!

Oh, I understand the "it's prettier" value of things. Like people who buy 200 mph cars that are driven on freeways with 65 mph speed limits. If you've got the money, you need to spend it on things.

I am not telling anyone they shouldn't buy one. I am not denigrating anyone for buying one. It's a beautiful display of machining.

I just don't have the desire to spend on collectible value only.

So, I look at a vise like this one and wonder ... what would make me want to spend money on it?

I've got a $120.00 Odyssey cam jaw vise. It has held every hook I've put in it. It rotates easily and is easy to adjust. It's not "in my way" when putting material on. (A claim I don't understand, since my old "Supreme" vise wasn't in the way either)
In other words, this vise does everything I could want.
I don't see that vise being any more useful ... the extra $380.00 is just to satisfy the collector gene many people have.
If I wanted to spend big money on a vise, it would be the Norvise. THAT one spins like an electric motor, and allows for rapid spinning techniques no other vise can match. But, I wouldn't use that feature enough to rationalize the expense.
Again ... I'm not putting anyone down. That's not even in my head. I just wonder if the HMH vise does anything "better" than less expensive alternatives ... besides looking prettier.

i splurged again.

nothing fancy. no bells and whistles. pedestal model. no adjustments. lever locking jaws. capable of holding size 32 to 19/0. full rotary but not true rotary. squeaks when rotated but you get used to the noise. all parts can be found in the local big box hardware store or plumbing supply house. can be rotated 180 degrees for left handed tyers. pipe clamp style material clips multifunction as the rotation axle holders. non glare finish and can be powder coated in a color of your choice. stainless steel parts available for an extra $1. no bobbin rest available at this time.

smile.png i hope its forum approved

CwEdgAS.jpg

squatch approved

7IXx.gif

Oh, I understand the "it's prettier" value of things. Like people who buy 200 mph cars that are driven on freeways with 65 mph speed limits. If you've got the money, you need to spend it on things.

I am not telling anyone they shouldn't buy one. I am not denigrating anyone for buying one. It's a beautiful display of machining.

I just don't have the desire to spend on collectible value only.

So, I look at a vise like this one and wonder ... what would make me want to spend money on it?

I've got a $120.00 Odyssey cam jaw vise. It has held every hook I've put in it. It rotates easily and is easy to adjust. It's not "in my way" when putting material on. (A claim I don't understand, since my old "Supreme" vise wasn't in the way either)
In other words, this vise does everything I could want.
I don't see that vise being any more useful ... the extra $380.00 is just to satisfy the collector gene many people have.
If I wanted to spend big money on a vise, it would be the Norvise. THAT one spins like an electric motor, and allows for rapid spinning techniques no other vise can match. But, I wouldn't use that feature enough to rationalize the expense.
Again ... I'm not putting anyone down. That's not even in my head. I just wonder if the HMH vise does anything "better" than less expensive alternatives ... besides looking prettier.

Sounds like your a practical man Mike. I on the other hand, well lets just say I'm really good at "rationalizing the expense" when it comes to my passions. I was at a tobacconist once when someone came in looking to buy cigars as a gift. They asked the store owner "What was the best cigar in your store" and he replied "The one you like the best".

I love it, flytire. You can end the squeak by cutting strips from an aluminum drink can and using them as bushings to "Box" the pipe at the clamps. It should rotate easier also. By using a longer nipple between the elbow and the tee you can, with some experimenting get it to be a "true rotary".

Congratulations to all who got new tools and toys for Christmas.

i splurged again.

nothing fancy. no bells and whistles. pedestal model. no adjustments. lever locking jaws. capable of holding size 32 to 19/0. full rotary but not true rotary. squeaks when rotated but you get used to the noise. all parts can be found in the local big box hardware store or plumbing supply house. can be rotated 180 degrees for left handed tyers. pipe clamp style material clips multifunction as the rotation axle holders. non glare finish and can be powder coated in a color of your choice. stainless steel parts available for an extra $1. no bobbin rest available at this time.

smile.png i hope its forum approved

CwEdgAS.jpg

squatch approved

7IXx.gif

I'm not sure you can rationalize the time and effort you put into that vise just for a picture, but I love it. As long as it was worth it to you. Now, what are you going to do with it? I suppose you could sell it to a collector. Also, I think it needs a crank handle.smile.png smile.png rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

I suppose if I didn't copy the picture every time I commented on something we wouldn't have as much trouble with Band Width space.

Ha ha ... laugh.png , flytire !!!

Now that's a vise !!! Guaranteed to hold any hook ... or welding equipment.

Love it ... worth every penny !!!