Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Well, I like my TRV so far. Is it perfect? No. I also have a Renzetti Master vise. It's not perfect either, but it's close A little bulkey. . Both are excellent vises. I've come to believe it's not the vise, so long as it holds a hook, it's the tier. Some impressive flies were tied on some very basic vises. It seems to be a matter of choice.

As TRV's start showing up at various shows and shops, tiers can try one out and decide for themselves if they think the vise is a $500 "toy" or "junk". As for me I'm enjoying mine.

I see that the Bears Den now has this vise in their catalog. They refer to it as the TVR Spartan in the description. It does have that "buy me" look to it.

Johnny I see your in Mass- When I ordered my TRV the owner of HMH said they would be at the Marlborough MA Fly Fishing show. You can see one in person if you go.

Mark I like what you done. I have thought about doing the same to my Griffin in the past.

If pretty was the only criteria and I had the $$$ I would buy the Ekich Damaseal.

Well, I've finished my mods on my TRV, maybe, (I have the whole rest of my life). I know it's not for everybody and I wouldn't presume to say that everybody needs one. There's really only one person that needs to be happy with it, and he is.

A few people asked me to post pictures of the finished vise so here it is. A video was requested but it seems like that would be a whole thing. If I set up a tripod to video something else along the line I'll do this too.

Anyway, here's the finished vise. You can see the new bearing housing I built, put needle bearings in it. I put MSK on there for fun. The shaft tension adjustment works like it did from the factory. You can also see the flywheel I made with the crank handle on it. The crank handle is nice, I like it better than a finger knob type of thing. The crank handle and the groove you see milled into the back of the hand wheel are there to counter balance the weight of the offset jaws

DSCF3095-XL.jpg

Here's a couple of it spinning, and boy does it spin.

DSCF3101-XL.jpg

Here it is at warp speed.

DSCF3103-XL.jpg

Here's the first fly I tied with it. A Dark Cahill.

DSCF3107-XL.jpg

I tied a dozen more after that and it was a lot of fun. Spinning dubbing is a lot faster this way, a lot easier and I make better, more uniform, noodles. I would say that anybody wanting to tie commercially would certainly want some kind of spinning vise.

Rebuilding the vise was a lot of fun. OK, some people will say that they just don't understand it. That's OK, this will not be the first time that I have left someone just shaking their heads, it won't be the last. I guess I'll just have to find a way to live through it.smile.png rolleyes.gif laugh.png biggrin.png tongue.png

If Squatch saw the mods I did on my boat he'd be doing back flips. Can he do back flips?

When I play with this vise, I get the same kind of feeling I got when I fired a revolver I built for the first time, it's priceless.

Mark I hope you spend many happy hours with it and tie a lot of beautiful flies. You should send the HMH people a picture.

Flytire- You made me laugh out loud.

One more note about speed. Do you need to spin dubbing that fast? Of course not. It's more of a demonstration of how smooth it spins. I wanted it to spin easy and smoothly, the speed is just another result of the bearings I put in to make it smooth and spin easy. I'm pretty sure the Norvise must be able to spin that fast to, if you wanted it to.

Thanks Mogup, I am. I was up waaaaay too late last night playing with it. I mean tying seriously with it.

Not sure about sending any pictures though.