Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

I consider doing my dubbing manually with my figers enjoyable. Similar to

one rolling his or her's own joint !

Mogup, it's frustrating to me, rolling dubbing by hand, I mean. Don't know nuthin' bout joints, now my step brother, he used to do it driving down the road steering with his knee with a tray on his lap (that's the joint thing not the dubbing). He quit smoking when he was sixty yrs. old. That's another thing that's "to each his own" I suppose, depending on what state you are in.

Kids, don't drive down the road while rolling a joint, it's not good for you.

One thing all the reviews leave out is which one ties the nicest flies? I'm guessing it's a tie so suggesting one vise is prettier then the other is amusing me. Winter will be over in no time if this continues. If pretty is the bar then I'm voting for the nor vise but I would never ever spend MY money on any of them. Thankfully we can all choose how we blow our money. What's right for me maybe not so right to the next fellow. God bless America.

Mark, if I was a machinist there is no way I would spend a nickel on any vise. I would think building a vise would be a simple task for a machinist. Go for it! Build a vise! And let's see it!

Haha they are cool one of the members here has some very fancy vises, he has a pattern welded one, though I'm sure with your background you could top it in beauty. It's a shame we didn't meet 5 years ago I before I had kids I'd have swapped a couple weeks of hand sanding for some lessons and a couple days of fishing in a heart beat.

Mark you could always turn out a very limited number of vises, made with your own pattern welded steel and slap a very high price tag on them even if you hit only a very select market it could be worth while.

My interest has been sufficiently peaked, and I had so much fun modifying mine, I have decided to build a really fancy one from scratch. It will be all pattern welded and powder steel damascus, mokume gane, and ivory. I'm going to make all ivory handled tools and accouterments too. This one will be called the " The Trout Fly"

It will have trout and trout fly images in the damascus and it will be engraved.

When my wife asks me why I'm not working on regular shop stuff, I'm just going to blame you guys. I won't tell her how to find you though.

pete gray, do you have a Norvise, or were those pictures from the internet. I'm curious to know how they counter balanced the vise jaws.

i wouldnt think you would need to spin the jaws at 1000 rpm to dub an inch of thread but i'm glad it works for you

might want to think about motorizing it :) go faster :)

i splurged again.

nothing fancy. no bells and whistles. pedestal model. no adjustments. lever locking jaws. capable of holding size 32 to 19/0. full rotary but not true rotary. squeaks when rotated but you get used to the noise. all parts can be found in the local big box hardware store or plumbing supply house. can be rotated 180 degrees for left handed tyers. pipe clamp style material clips multifunction as the rotation axle holders. non glare finish and can be powder coated in a color of your choice. stainless steel parts available for an extra $1. no bobbin rest available at this time.

smile.png i hope its forum approved

CwEdgAS.jpg

squatch approved

7IXx.gif

Lmao ......cheers and Happy New Year .....I've just picked my self up from the floor.

Norm, this is from my post number 149 above.

One more note about speed. Do you need to spin dubbing that fast? Of course not. It's more of a demonstration of how smooth it spins. I wanted it to spin easy and smoothly, the speed is just another result of the bearings I put in to make it smooth and spin easy. I'm pretty sure the Norvise must be able to spin that fast to, if you wanted it to.

Been watching this thread ... Mark, I really want to see that custom vise you're talking about making! If you need to hide it from your wife, I'm sure I'll be more than happy to house it for you...

i wouldnt think you would need to spin the jaws at 1000 rpm to dub an inch of thread but i'm glad it works for you

might want to think about motorizing it :) go faster :)

I designed a motorized vise for a course I was taking about 9 years ago. Long story but never got it built. I came across the drawings while back.

Well, I've finished my mods on my TRV, maybe, (I have the whole rest of my life). I know it's not for everybody and I wouldn't presume to say that everybody needs one. There's really only one person that needs to be happy with it, and he is.

A few people asked me to post pictures of the finished vise so here it is. A video was requested but it seems like that would be a whole thing. If I set up a tripod to video something else along the line I'll do this too.

Anyway, here's the finished vise. You can see the new bearing housing I built, put needle bearings in it. I put MSK on there for fun. The shaft tension adjustment works like it did from the factory. You can also see the flywheel I made with the crank handle on it. The crank handle is nice, I like it better than a finger knob type of thing. The crank handle and the groove you see milled into the back of the hand wheel are there to counter balance the weight of the offset jaws

Rebuilding the vise was a lot of fun. OK, some people will say that they just don't understand it. That's OK, this will not be the first time that I have left someone just shaking their heads, it won't be the last. I guess I'll just have to find a way to live through it.smile.png rolleyes.gif laugh.png biggrin.png tongue.png

Mark - Wow that's really nice work sir, the best of a LAW and Norvise all in one! You gotta' post your original vise and tools when completed, hopefully the lovely Mrs doesn't shut it down.

I received the brass finger bar you made and it fit perfectly on my TRV, thanks again.

Dean