Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Dang !!! I'm gonna have to look up pipe and ViseGrips now !!! Are there specialty shops where I can pay 500% for those parts. Norm ???

Was at the Marlborough show yesterday and visited the HMH booth and was able

to fool a bit with the TRV. Nice vise and I'm sure it will do everything a vise is suppose

to do well but for the price the vise didn!'t overwhelm me. As others have stated I

didn't find the jaws terribly attractive but to each their own. I'm sure it is a fine vise.

I was at the show yesterday also and looked at the vise. I wasn't overly impressed either.

I will stick with my Peak vise.

Mike

Was at the Marlborough show yesterday and visited the HMH booth and was able

to fool a bit with the TRV. Nice vise and I'm sure it will do everything a vise is suppose

to do well but for the price the vise didn!'t overwhelm me. As others have stated I

didn't find the jaws terribly attractive but to each their own. I'm sure it is a fine vise.

Here's another option for those that really like the Waldron jaw design, but would rather have a machined head along the lines of the original. This vise was posted on another UK forum back when it was on ebayUK and I've been watching it since. If you read the bottom line, he's working on more of them right now. I contacted him yesterday about it to see if he's still planning on making any more for this year. He wrote me back saying that he's got 2 already sold, and the other four should be available sometime in early April. He has no problem shipping it over here. Here is the original link to see what it looks like and the price that it went for. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, here's the main picture of it. I'm still not positive that I would spring for it because my Regal does everything that I need a vise to do and it always has. I could have bought a LAW back before they even became super popular, let alone discontinued.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-87156500-1548000174_thumb.jpg

too bad its not an "actual" LAW vise

another copy

"This auction is for my interpretation of the famous Law fly tying vice. I have kept the original design intent for the jaws which require a huge amount of machining and added an adjustable arm that allows perfect positioning of the jaws to suit all fly Tyre's. The main shaft runs in quality bearings that allow an exceptionally smooth rotation. The vice jaws are made from quality high carbon steel ,which are hardened and tempered for long life. Body material is 303 stainless steel.

All parts are hand made to ensure a perfect fit, not the usual stuff that comes from China.
My friend who is a professional fly dresser carried out the trials on the prototype vice, he thinks it's brilliant
I am a toolmaker to trade based in Scotland and plan to make around six of these vices per year. If you are interested you can contact me through my ebay account. "

Been tying on my TRV for a week or so now. It works fine. No better or worse at hook-holding than my Renzetti Pro, but it's simpler. Takes snugging down on the wheel to lock in a hook, but I can live with that. Good access to the back of the hook.

I met Jon Larrabee from HMH at the Marlborough show on Friday. I explained that one of the main criticisms of the TRV was that a lot of folks find it to short. He told me that he can make the stem of the TRV vise to any height a customer would like (within reason) and the cost is $12 plus shipping.

Norm, That Pro Vise Virtual Nymph is about the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

It's all business, clean and practical. At $1,523.00 USD, it's priced well out of most of the general fly tying public's budget. It is sold out at this time buy that doesn't necessarily mean they can't keep up with orders. It may just be made to order.

I'd really love to hear from someone that has used one.