Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

5 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Thanks for your input DFoster. I've actually owned 2 TRV's in the past. The first one would handle hooks up to 8/0...but hold nothing smaller than a #8. The second one held the small stuff, but I couldn't get a 2/0 into the jaws. I guess I need to get my hands on Gunnar's vise - LOL

I loved tying on that vise, but I was and still am  hoping for something more versatile when it comes to hook sizes. Jon L. at HMH and I have communicated about this in the past, and I suppose we will again. We shall see.

George

Hi George because the HMH is made to order and not a shelf stocked vise the only way I know to handle one is at the fly fishing shows.  Jon usually has a booth and you can get hands on with the actual vise your considering buying.  I have read on line that some vises are fickle about hook sizes mine fortunately doesn't seem to be at least up to a #2.  We did have a forum member who received one that he didn't like and he was able to return it for a full refund.  Good luck!

8 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Hi George because the HMH is made to order and not a shelf stocked vise the only way I know to handle one is at the fly fishing shows.  Jon usually has a booth and you can get hands on with the actual vise your considering buying.  I have read on line that some vises are fickle about hook sizes mine fortunately doesn't seem to be at least up to a #2.  We did have a forum member who received one that he didn't like and he was able to return it for a full refund.  Good luck!

I sat and tried his personal vise at the New Jersey show...and while understands my issues, as a small operation he is limited on what he can do to customize just one vise for a bit of a loon like me 🙂  and I do understand where he is coming from. Maybe I'll ask him if I buy another vise if I can then purchase a second set of the jaws only which I will promptly begin to go to work on to see what changes I can make to accommodate my needs.    We shall see......

36 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Welcome to the site, Salarman.  I can't comment on the vise in question. 

I will admit to a bit of an obsession with this vise. I loved tying on it, but I also want just one to be perfection I guess. Hope springs eternal :P

Same here. I wanted a Law but they were unavailable unless you consider 3 grand for a used one reasonable.   There are some really fine copies being made in Europe but it’s a lot of extra coin to get one shipped and that might present an expensive issue if you have a problem.   I can drive less than 2 hours and be at HMH in Maine. They’ve been in business since the 1970s which made me feel better about ordering something expensive.   I see Jon The owner Every year at the Fly Fishing Show in Marlborough MA. I can Literally walk to that show from my office.  It’s not a perfect vise, no Vise is but it certainly handles my feeble efforts at tying. 

As with my previous fast review of the HMH yes, the rotary action was smooth, but the jaws, which were not made of tool steel and were soft. The range of hook sizes maybe limited but plenty enough for me. 
the stem was too short and I don’t see why I would have to pay extra for a longer one. The base is way to light and was prone to tipping. Again, I could have bought a heavier one, but why should I need to for such a expensive vise. 
I have opted for the CAE vise since the price is not to bad when you consider it comes with a stem extension, both a pedestal base and a C clamp. It’s the nearest thing to a LAW at a quarter of the price of a used one. Yes, I have a small issue with the rotary action on mine but nothing I can’t live with. Charles Evans has failed to correct it which is poor customer service. A long while ago when I first purchased it he suggested a replacement part but he wanted me to pay for it, o haven’t heard from him since despite several emails. 
if HMH corrected the issues then their vise would be more than adequate, even though it’s not a cheap price. For much the same money you could set yourself up with nice Renzetti Master which is just about the nicest vise out there other than the LAW. Ask yourself this, why do many pros tie on a LAW?

Barry

13 hours ago, DFoster said:

Same here. I wanted a Law but they were unavailable unless you consider 3 grand for a used one reasonable.   There are some really fine copies being made in Europe but it’s a lot of extra coin to get one shipped and that might present an expensive issue if you have a problem.   I can drive less than 2 hours and be at HMH in Maine. They’ve been in business since the 1970s which made me feel better about ordering something expensive.   I see Jon The owner Every year at the Fly Fishing Show in Marlborough MA. I can Literally walk to that show from my office.  It’s not a perfect vise, no Vise is but it certainly handles my feeble efforts at tying. 

I suspect Jon got a little tired of me and my game of 20 questions. That's okay, but I've never quite given up on finding a TRV that will do all that Gunnar's does. Something tells me I will be going back to the Renzetti Master which does basically do it all. We shall see.....

12 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

For much the same money you could set yourself up with nice Renzetti Master which is just about the nicest vise out there other than the LAW.

Barry

Hi Barry,  In my area the TRV list for about $500 and the Master is about $350 more.  I had none of the issues you describe with your HMH, except for the short stem and it was cheap money to go taller.   The Master is a fine vise but of the 30 or so pro tiers at our local show more than half were tying on Regal.  The rest were tying on a mix of Renzetti, HMH, Dyna King, J-Vise, and one guy even had an actual LAW (it was really nice to finally see one in person).  The best vise is different for everybody,  just as it is with fly rods, cars, beers, food - the best is the one you like the best.    🙂  

Dean

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Hi Barry,  In my area the TRV list for about $500 and the Master is about $350 more.  I had none of the issues you describe with your HMH, except for the short stem and it was cheap money to go taller.   The Master is a fine vise but of the 30 or so pro tiers at our local show more than half were tying on Regal.  The rest were tying on a mix of Renzetti, HMH, Dyna King, J-Vise, and one guy even had an actual LAW (it was really nice to finally see one in person).  The best vise is different for everybody,  just as it is with fly rods, cars, beers, food - the best is the one you like the best.    🙂  

Dean

I agree that the vise one uses is purely a matter of personal preference...but...it is my understanding that Regal supplies many of the show tyers with the vises they use...as opposed to what the other companies do. I have not been able to independently confirm this but my insider friend has turned down that offer a couple of times. So ?????????????

15 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I agree that the vise one uses is purely a matter of personal preference...but...it is my understanding that Regal supplies many of the show tyers with the vises they use...as opposed to what the other companies do. I have not been able to independently confirm this but my insider friend has turned down that offer a couple of times. So ?????????????

I do know the tyers using the LAW and the J-Vises purchased them because they had some interesting stories about the ordering/shipping process.  The J-Vise is yet another beautiful piece of engineering.  Regal is manufactured in here in Massachusetts and definitely has a strong and loyal following with tyers in the North East.  So it wasn't surprising to see so many pros using them at the show.  

I have been using my TRV for about a year now and have really enjoyed using it.  Funny enough though I have never found myself using the rotary feature.  Not that it doesn't perform well, I just prefer the rotary feature on the Renzetti. The TRV is beautiful and performs beautifully.  

10 minutes ago, Toothy said:

I have been using my TRV for about a year now and have really enjoyed using it.  Funny enough though I have never found myself using the rotary feature.  Not that it doesn't perform well, I just prefer the rotary feature on the Renzetti. The TRV is beautiful and performs beautifully.  

Can you tell me the range of hook sizes it will hold?

First...I wish to thank you all for your informed and insightful responses to this newbie to the site. Great stuff, fine people and super site!!

When all is said and done I suspect I will end up with my return to the Renzetti Master. Not exactly slumming it 😎😎 but my long time use of other Renzetti vises in the past tells me it is the only way to go!!!

Thanks again guys 👍👌🙂

George

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

I do know the tyers using the LAW and the J-Vises purchased them because they had some interesting stories about the ordering/shipping process.  The J-Vise is yet another beautiful piece of engineering.  Regal is manufactured in here in Massachusetts and definitely has a strong and loyal following with tyers in the North East.  So it wasn't surprising to see so many pros using them at the show.  

I’ve used a Regal in past years and it’s a good vise, I actually own one of the cheap Chinese copies which I use as a portable vise when needed. 
the one big problem with the Regal is when using small hooks and placing them near the tip of the jaws. The hooks can fly out resulting in a missile hook being lost and worst still it can and will chip the jaws. When I contacted Regal, which was several years ago I was told the damage was because of careless use and was not covered under warranty. 
just to let you all know I’m a professional guide, I have been for many years and I’ve used a fly tying vise to tie thousands of flies over the years. So my choice of vise is one that saves me time and doesn’t break. Once again, I regret selling my Renzetti!

Barry

3 minutes ago, Bazzer69 said:

I’ve used a Regal in past years and it’s a good vise, I actually own one of the cheap Chinese copies which I use as a portable vise when needed. 
the one big problem with the Regal is when using small hooks and placing them near the tip of the jaws. The hooks can fly out resulting in a missile hook being lost and worst still it can and will chip the jaws. When I contacted Regal, which was several years ago I was told the damage was because of careless use and was not covered under warranty. 
just to let you all know I’m a professional guide, I have been for many years and I’ve used a fly tying vise to tie thousands of flies over the years. So my choice of vise is one that saves me time and doesn’t break. Once again, I regret selling my Renzetti!

Barry

Thanks for your thoughts Barry. Since my last reply to this topic I went ahead and bit the bullet...the Renzetti Master has been ordered!! Sometimes these things can be a little too easy. After agonizing over this it finally dawned on me it was a no brainer...so the deed is done.

One other note - I have an excellent custom base I got free sometime in the past, so I ordered a head only and a stem to fit the head...total cost to me $545.00